PDA

View Full Version : Computer Science Minor useful?

justin55
December 4th 2009, 11:50 AM
Hi,

Do you think a CS minor (8 courses) would be of any use to get a job or to actually be more efficient on the job?

I would likely learn C++, Java, Scheme,...but mostly skills in how to think about programming.

It would only require me to take 3 additional classes.

Is it worth doing?

PS I like that stuff too.

Stodd
December 4th 2009, 01:06 PM
I recommend you make sure whoever answers your question has been through the hiring process recently. I've noticed many comments on here from the more experienced members indicate that programming skills are a plus, but for the most part you can learn anything besides excel and access on the job. However, in my search for work, I'm being asked way more questions about my programming skills than I expected. I've had interviews for a 1st internship where they want me to list 3 or more different programming languages I'm proficient in. I'm not sure if it's the same in both insurance and consulting, but at least at the consulting firms I've been looking at, their work is heavily focused on providing software solutions to their clients actuarial needs that the client can access and tinker with the assumptions, etc. on their own after the actuary puts the product together. The closer I get to finding a job, the more I keep wishing I'd saved time in my undergrad program for a few more computer courses.

justin55
December 5th 2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for your reply. I guess that's a good reason to at least choose a few CS courses as electives.

I didn't know consulting was that computer oriented. That sounds like something I'd like a lot!

Is knowing ''''', Matlab, R or softwares like these useful in the workplace?

NoMoreExams
December 5th 2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your reply. I guess that's a good reason to at least choose a few CS courses as electives.

I didn't know consulting was that computer oriented. That sounds like something I'd like a lot!

Is knowing ''''', Matlab, R or softwares like these useful in the workplace?

I've heard of people using R in their work but that requires permission of IT (since you'd need to install it, etc.). A few companies are using SAS and more and more are going in that direction because of its ability to work easily with large data sets. Since R/S-PLUS is fairly similar to SAS, it would be worth getting more familiar with it. I've not heard of anyone using MATLAB/'''''/Mathematica/etc. though.

Stodd
December 5th 2009, 09:20 PM
I sometimes use m a p l e just to double check my calculus. I'd have a hard time seeing using it in any large scale.

Not quite sure why it's '''''''' out m a p l e

Kenneth
December 5th 2009, 10:37 PM
I sometimes use m a p l e just to double check my calculus. I'd have a hard time seeing using it in any large scale.

Not quite sure why it's '''''''' out m a p l e

I worked for the makers of Mathematica for a few years, so I still use it to solve problems. It makes nice graphs, and can model stuff very quickly and easily.

bsc13
February 8th 2010, 07:52 PM
If i plan on majoring in math, what's better? A minor in econ or a minor in computer science? And actually I can do both, but then i won't be able to take Accounting 1 and 2, is that better?

ramansky89
March 23rd 2010, 05:55 AM
hi

I'm also going through the process of picking out my courses. CS would be a nice one but I'm not sure if I want to end up as a programmer. I think one has to see it from the angle what do I wanna do later in my job?
They will always use the skills I provide to the employer but is this the work I wanna do? I'm more interested in accounting since I'm a numbers person and not that good in programming..