PDA

View Full Version : Real exam vs. ASM Study Manual exams for FM

ArjimusMaximus
August 14th 2010, 11:11 PM
After reading through the ASM Study Manual, they claim that their practice exams are harder than the real thing (In the tenth edition, they claim their practice exams 1-3 are harder and 4-5 are on par). I used a different company to study for exam P where they claimed the same thing, and it didn't turn out to be remotely true for me.

Has anyone had any experience with the ASM FM manuals where they could confirm this statement?

brandond
August 14th 2010, 11:35 PM
After reading through the ASM Study Manual, they claim that their practice exams are harder than the real thing (In the tenth edition, they claim their practice exams 1-3 are harder and 4-5 are on par). I used a different company to study for exam P where they claimed the same thing, and it didn't turn out to be remotely true for me.

Has anyone had any experience with the ASM FM manuals where they could confirm this statement?

I used TIA and ASM for FM. I stopped taking the ASM practice exams at one point because it messes with me when I'm taking an exam that is supposed to be harder than the real thing and I bomb it. It messes with my confidence so I just put it down. The manual itself is good and very thorough and the practice problems are challenging.

I would say the first few ASM practice exams are pretty close.

psp-fifa-fan
August 15th 2010, 01:36 AM
I'm wondering about the same thing too. Cuz i've heard the recent actual exams have more derivative market problems (like half of the exam) and most of them are testing about concepts and ideas rather than calculations.
does anyone know if the ASM's annuities, bonds, and loans problems are harder or easier than the recent actual exams? how about ASM's DM problems?

brandond
August 15th 2010, 02:49 AM
I'm wondering about the same thing too. Cuz i've heard the recent actual exams have more derivative market problems (like half of the exam) and most of them are testing about concepts and ideas rather than calculations.
does anyone know if the ASM's annuities, bonds, and loans problems are harder or easier than the recent actual exams? how about ASM's DM problems?

I think the ASM FM manual is decent on either subject. They seem to be focusing a lot on immunization and dedication.

psp-fifa-fan
August 15th 2010, 06:40 PM
I think the ASM FM manual is decent on either subject. They seem to be focusing a lot on immunization and dedication.

did you pass with ASM? i'm getting really nervous about the DM part. the DM problems in ASM are mostly calculations, but on the 30 SOA DM samples, most of them are based on concepts and ideas.

ArjimusMaximus
August 15th 2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for your input. I was a little worried. I scored a 30/35 on test 4, a 32/35 on test 5, then a 24/35 on test 1. I didn't know how to gauge that. Maybe I was just having an off day though...

TAGfish
August 16th 2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks for your input. I was a little worried. I scored a 30/35 on test 4, a 32/35 on test 5, then a 24/35 on test 1. I didn't know how to gauge that. Maybe I was just having an off day though...

Tests 1-3 are considerably more difficult than 4 and 5 imo.

psp-fifa-fan
August 17th 2010, 12:13 PM
are TIA's harder than the real exam? i just got a 19 on the first TIA, and i'm taking the exam this friday.... i'm so worried now...

ksommerf
August 17th 2010, 04:58 PM
I am looking for some assistance in studying for exam fm/2. Thus far my understanding of the material is just fine however it was very frustrating to study entirely on my own for exam p and would be nice to have outside input. Even just to exchange emails and be able to discuss certain sections and problems would be spectacular.

brandond
August 17th 2010, 07:07 PM
For exam P I mainly used TIA-Scored barely a 60% I think on the practice exams. Passed the real thing.

For exam FM I used both TIA and ASM manual, as well as Actuarial Brew practice exams. Scored right at 70% on the AB practice exams and I think about the same with the TIA practice exams. The ASM exams I started bombing so I quit taking them for my own reasons. I passed FM as well.

I've never scored super great on any practice exams from any study materials. You will have a handful of questions that look "easy", that you should be able to handle without much thought or calculations, then of course more difficult ones that make you think.

Find the ones you know you can knock out in a timely manner and get the ball rolling, then go back to the ones that look foreign.

It's a test within a test, you have to be prepared to keep moving and get your points where you can. The name of the game is to pass. That was something a little difficult for me to except, seeing as I want to get them all correct. Plus, 9 out of 10 times after seeing the solution, you realize you were equipped to answer the question, just missed a little something somewhere.

psp-fifa-fan
August 17th 2010, 08:17 PM
For exam P I mainly used TIA-Scored barely a 60% I think on the practice exams. Passed the real thing.

For exam FM I used both TIA and ASM manual, as well as Actuarial Brew practice exams. Scored right at 70% on the AB practice exams and I think about the same with the TIA practice exams. The ASM exams I started bombing so I quit taking them for my own reasons. I passed FM as well.

I've never scored super great on any practice exams from any study materials. You will have a handful of questions that look "easy", that you should be able to handle without much thought or calculations, then of course more difficult ones that make you think.

Find the ones you know you can knock out in a timely manner and get the ball rolling, then go back to the ones that look foreign.

It's a test within a test, you have to be prepared to keep moving and get your points where you can. The name of the game is to pass. That was something a little difficult for me to except, seeing as I want to get them all correct. Plus, 9 out of 10 times after seeing the solution, you realize you were equipped to answer the question, just missed a little something somewhere.

so overall do you think the real one is easier or harder than TIA and ASM?
i'm just really worried about the DM part cuz i've heard that the DM problems are super hard, mostly based on concepts rather than calculation.

brandond
August 17th 2010, 08:20 PM
I think overall they are pretty similar. The real exam is no gimme. You just have to make sure your solid on the concepts you do have a grasp on. You have to make up the points somewhere if your weak on some of the syllabus.

ArjimusMaximus
August 17th 2010, 08:53 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I seem to be the opposite on the TIA and ASM exams though... Well, at least on the last one I took. I'm retaking the only one I "failed" tonight from an earlier edition with distractions (it's been a week or so anyway, so I won't remember the exact solutions or any answers).

brandond
August 17th 2010, 09:29 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I seem to be the opposite on the TIA and ASM exams though... Well, at least on the last one I took. I'm retaking the only one I "failed" tonight from an earlier edition with distractions (it's been a week or so anyway, so I won't remember the exact solutions or any answers).

Sounds like your right on the money, good luck, I'm sure you will do great.