PDA

View Full Version : Hooray! Interview on Monday.

Anna
February 3rd 2007, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty happy right now. I have an interview with AIG this monday. I'm a junior, and they have my resume from the NYU career fair that was a little over a week ago. I've pretty surprised at how quickly they contacted me.

Sherylian
February 5th 2007, 02:26 AM
good luck with ur interview! Just be yourself and try to impress them with good communication skills and enthusiasm of being an actuary ;)
Share your interview experience here afterward if you can, I'm sure people would find that to be helpful :)

Anna
February 5th 2007, 07:34 PM
The interview I thought went really well until I got to Humar Resources. I talked to 4 people and the fifth person was HR. It was going really well, I was feeling really confident and then in HR I was asked for my gpa and told that it is below the minimum and it is a hard rule therefore I'm not eligible. I'm going to fight it. The actuaries didn't even ask me for my gpa.

I really am a special case though because not only am I an engineering major, but in addition in my school if you fail a class and then take it again the F doesn't go away and is continued to be factored in your gpa. Well, there was one semester where I had exceptional family circumstances and I failed four classes. That as the only semester where I failed any classes at all, but as you can imagine that one semester massacred my gpa.

WannaB
February 5th 2007, 08:35 PM
That stinks. I think you should talk to your dean about retroactively withdrawing from the courses you failed. Most colleges have something set up for that in the case of unforseen circumstances. I've had a couple of students that I had to sign papers for that were going through the process.

Cepheid
February 5th 2007, 10:20 PM
I've always strongly disliked HR people, but that's another story...

In addition to what WannaB posted, another thing you may want to look into is if your school will let you waive one semester from your GPA. My school had a policy that if you had one really bad semester due to extenuating circumstances yet had enough credits and had a good GPA otherwise, they would consider waiving the grades for that one semester.

Also, if you have the contact information for the 4 actuaries that interviewed you, write them a letter directly explaining the situation. If they were impressed with you otherwise, they may be willing to overlook your GPA. Don't give up just yet.

Sherylian
February 6th 2007, 01:09 AM
yea i agree, I would definitely fight it if I'm you. HR ppl tend to be less flexible and just follow the rule stiffly. But it's odd that your school does not allow your retake courses' GPA be counted over the failed ones. Perhaps you should talk to your Dean and ask for a change. I've never heard a school does that... It might sounds simple here, but could be hard to do. However, you should let your interviewers (include the HR person) know about your exceptional situation. If you demonstrate other valuable skills and knowledge, and if they're understandable, it should be fine. Afterall, you can always apply elsewhere and broaden your options ;)

Anna
February 6th 2007, 03:18 PM
I know there's nothing I can change about my school- my school's pretty special and I have to take the bad with the good, it's a full package. I will definitely explain the situation in the thank you letter. I'll send it today. I think that they didn't ask about the gpa because I was such a strong candidate- I passed the first exam with a 10 and I'm a junior. I have a strong resume as well. I even asked them if there's anything I can clear up, or if there's any weakness in my candidacy for the internship. The feedback I got was really positive.

Brikian
February 6th 2007, 08:04 PM
The interview I thought went really well until I got to Humar Resources. I talked to 4 people and the fifth person was HR. It was going really well, I was feeling really confident and then in HR I was asked for my gpa and told that it is below the minimum and it is a hard rule therefore I'm not eligible. I'm going to fight it. The actuaries didn't even ask me for my gpa.

I really am a special case though because not only am I an engineering major, but in addition in my school if you fail a class and then take it again the F doesn't go away and is continued to be factored in your gpa. Well, there was one semester where I had exceptional family circumstances and I failed four classes. That as the only semester where I failed any classes at all, but as you can imagine that one semester massacred my gpa.

Isn't it the same for all of the colleges/universities?....If i failed a course, the F will stay in my transcrip forever, even though i have retaken and passed the course, the F is still the only one that is used to calculate the CGPA.....so sad....

Trojan_Horse
February 6th 2007, 10:43 PM
No, most universities have a forgiveness program. The university I went to allowed you to retake up to 3 courses you had failed and replace the F with the new grade. This is very common.

Brikian
February 6th 2007, 11:56 PM
.....How come my school doesn't offer that forgiveness program.....i really want that.....

JamieS
February 18th 2007, 09:26 PM
.....How come my school doesn't offer that forgiveness program.....i really want that.....

Transfer ;-)

Anna
February 20th 2007, 11:42 PM
I got a rejection letter in the mail today from AIG. Even though I knew it was coming I did hold out a little hope. Well I do appreciate that the person who interviewed me (an actuary, not the HR person) did go through the trouble of sending me a letter. Shows that I was dealing with a person who is just really professional. On the bright side, I can't really dwell on this rejection for too long because I have two more interviews scheduled for later this week.

Cepheid
February 21st 2007, 12:28 AM
Awww, sorry to hear you got a rejection letter. But great to hear you have 2 more interviews. Good luck!

Thomas H
February 21st 2007, 11:36 AM
Always think that the next interview is the one that's going to get you the position. That might help to keep your spirits up. My dad told me to do this but it hasn't helped my outlook much.