Actuarial Discussion Forum - Professional Discussions for Professional Actuaries

Actuarial Jobs from Actuary.com    Submit Your Actuarial Resume Anonymously
Other Insurance Jobs    Other Financial Jobs    Other Health Jobs    Other IT Jobs    Other Jobs, Careers and Employment    Actuarial News
Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Courses - Online    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Materials    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Seminars - Live
Directory of Actuarial Recruiters    Directory of Actuarial Schools    Actuarial Grads Network    Actuary.com 

D.W. Simpson & Co, Inc. - Worldwide Actuarial Jobs
Life Jobs 
Health Jobs Pension Jobs Casualty Jobs Salary Apply
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA - Pryor Associates
Nat'l/Int'l Actuarial Openings: Life P&C Health Pensions Finance
ACTEX Publications and MadRiver Books
Serving students worldwide for over 40 years
Advertise Here - Reach Actuarial Professionals
Advertising Information
Actuarial Careers, Inc. - Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions by geographic region, specialization, or salary
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters - Top Actuarial Jobs
Salary Surveys  Apply Online   Bios   Casualty   Health   Life   Pension

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Actuarial Science vs Quantitative Finance

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

Actuarial science vs. Finance

I posted this thread on the college student session, but now feel it may be more appropriate to post it here.

What do you think are actuaries' advantage (like life, salary, prospect, working atmosphere, challenge...) over those working in finance field?

I learned today from this forum that maybe the intersection of actuarial science and finance is not so much as what I had previously imagined. I am interested both in actuarial science and finance, so I want to campare these two fields, and then make my decision about going to college.

Thank you all for your help and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by gljirain View Post
    I posted this thread on the college student session, but now feel it may be more appropriate to post it here.
    Then don't post it in both places.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

[url]http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=174[/url] - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

I've tried to delete that thread in the college session. But I don't know how, so I only changed the words.

I hope someone can give me some opinions about that question.
    Thanks

Actuary.com - Level III Poster MathForMarines's Avatar
    My advisor, Dr. Ostaszewski, became a CFA first, but he then became an Actuary because there was not enough math in CFA work. So, ask yourself, how much do you really love math???

Quote Originally Posted by gljirain View Post
    I've tried to delete that thread in the college session. But I don't know how, so I only changed the words.

I hope someone can give me some opinions about that question.
    Thanks

I actually love math.
    But I saw someone's posts in the forum saying they only do Excel-type work and do not involve much math and thinking?

Are challenges and creativity involved in actuaries' jobs greater or less than those work in the financial field?

Thanks

No one want to share his joy as an actuary?

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Once you're credentialed, there's plenty of thinking. There's not much advanced math in actuarial science, a lot of complex relationships and some of the advanced modeling can be tricky but nothing that would require an advanced mathematics degree. It's hard to compare the two fields; within each field, there are areas that can seem pretty mundane and those that are very challenging.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Question

Are there people here who considered going for a CFA, but decided to go the actuarial route? I've considered the actuarial exams off and on for years. More recently, I've gotten more into investments and have considered the CFA. But I'm afraid I won't be any less bored in jobs with my CFA as I have been. Actuarial work would be quite a career change though.

I'm wondering why people who considered the two ended up deciding to go for an actuarial career.

My background: I have a BS in Management with a Finance concentration (RPI), and an MBA with a Finance concentration (Graduate College of Union University).

Actuarial Science vs Quantitative Finance

This is the million dollar question that has been driving me over the edge since the past few weeks. Actuarial Science or Quantitative Finance? I enjoy doing mathematics and natural sciences but I have an interest in working in the business field. I have done research on both Actuarial Science and Quantitative Finance and both fields are quite attractive. However, I have not decided which field to enter. I would like to hear your opinions on these fields and how they differ. I have been able to identify similarities but not any significant differences. I am aware that this is an actuarial forum and some of the opinions shared may be extremely bias but I welcome them just the same.

pls reply to my post...i value your opinions
    Last edited by roaxas; January 4th 2009 at 08:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information