Actuarial Discussion Forum

Actuarial Jobs from Actuary.com    Submit Your Actuarial Resume Anonymously
Actuarial Blog - Actuarial Employment Articles, Help, Jobs and News
Other Insurance Jobs    Other Financial Jobs    Other Health Jobs    Other IT Jobs    Other Jobs, Careers and Employment    Actuarial News
Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Courses - Online    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Materials    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Seminars - Live
Directory of Actuarial Recruiters    Directory of Actuarial Schools    Actuarial Grads Network    Actuary.com 

D.W. Simpson & Co, Inc. - Worldwide Actuarial Jobs
Life Jobs 
Health Jobs Pension Jobs Casualty Jobs Salary Apply
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA - Pryor Associates
Nat'l/Int'l Actuarial Openings: Life P&C Health Pensions Finance
ACTEX Publications and MadRiver Books
Serving students worldwide for over 40 years
Advertise Here - Reach Actuarial Professionals
Advertising Information
Actuarial Careers, Inc. - Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions by geographic region, specialization, or salary
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters - Top Actuarial Jobs
Salary Surveys  Apply Online   Bios   Casualty   Health   Life   Pension

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What does an investment actuary do?

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Question What does an investment actuary do?

What type of day to day work would an actuary do that works in investments?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo
    What type of day to day work would an actuary do that works in investments?
    Nothing. They don't exist.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger
    Someone told me about a friend who was an investment actuary. The company was using modelling to predict the cost of garunteeing a certain return on the investment basket and then charging investors slightly more for it.

The interesting thing about it (from an investment standpoint) was that stock purchased was sheilded from a lot of tax liabilities.

Is this what you mean by 'work investments', gizmo??

I believe pension funds are similar in this respect. You aren't messing around with individual stocks but are instead looking at investment strategies.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    This is not true. Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, and Merrill Lynch, among others, hire actuaries. I wouldn't recommend looking for a job as an entry-level candidate, but once you get credentialed, you may consider moving into these practices. The number of positions are few and competitive. As to what they do, I do not know.

I doubt an FSA on the investment track could withstand a top tier MBA holder.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    I doubt an FSA on the investment track could withstand a top tier MBA holder.
    Withstand? How do you mean?

In any case, the FSA's who use 8V (the Investments exams) are said to be able to perform the same duties as an investment banker (minus the practice in the field, most likely). The Course 8 exams are intense - I wouldn't be too surprised to see FSA's in other fields. That's what the whole Image Campaign is about - opening the eyes of both those in and out of the field to the expanding capabilities of an actuary.

Also note that the SOA either has approved or is in the process of approving another credential - the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) credential, upon completion of the ERM track. Just another financial arena that actuaries are involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by wat
    Withstand? How do you mean?

In any case, the FSA's who use 8V (the Investments exams) are said to be able to perform the same duties as an investment banker (minus the practice in the field, most likely). The Course 8 exams are intense - I wouldn't be too surprised to see FSA's in other fields. That's what the whole Image Campaign is about - opening the eyes of both those in and out of the field to the expanding capabilities of an actuary.

Also note that the SOA either has approved or is in the process of approving another credential - the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) credential, upon completion of the ERM track. Just another financial arena that actuaries are involved in.

I just meant top tier MBA holders would snatch those prized positions at Goldman, Merill, etc. from even qualified FSAs. Even undergraduates from my alma mater get those positions in higher numbers. The cards are stacked against the FSAs.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    I just meant top tier MBA holders would snatch those prized positions at Goldman, Merill, etc. from even qualified FSAs. Even undergraduates from my alma mater get those positions in higher numbers. The cards are stacked against the FSAs.
    Well, it depends - how many FSA's attempt for positions outside of traditionally actuarial positions? Not many as of now, but that's changing. It's obvious that a person with an MBA with a focus in Finance would be more of a conventional pick to perform in investments. But does that mean investments actuaries don't exist? Absolutely not. FSA's are/will be well qualified to perform duties outside of traditional actuarial work in various areas of business, including finance. So, it's not out of the question to believe that FSA's are qualified to work in investments.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    wouldnt they just hire a proper quant to do this?

Actuary.com - Level V Poster djerry81's Avatar
    whats your alma mater....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information