Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to get actuary position on H1

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Is it possible to get actuary position on H1

Hi all,
    I am on H1 visa so is it possible to get a position of actuary .

Actuary.com - Level III Poster nostalgiajesskang's Avatar
    May I know how do you get it? Further studies, Green card lottery, sponsorship from company?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Harkiran View Post
    Hi all,
    I am on H1 visa so is it possible to get a position of actuary .
    I hope not. We have enough unemployed and qualified citizens in the U.S. as it is. Please go back to India and work in a call center for 15 cents an hour.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
    I hope not. We have enough unemployed and qualified citizens in the U.S. as it is. Please go back to India and work in a call center for 15 cents an hour.
    THIS is def. trolling. People that are threatened by competition, foreign or domestic, should figure out why they are being fired in lieu of others.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    THIS is def. trolling. People that are threatened by competition, foreign or domestic, should figure out why they are being fired in lieu of others.
    Quit calling me a troll! Wake up, this is real life... India's wages are drastically lowering than the U.S. The U.S. cannot compete with India for work because of the vast disparity in wages. Are you satisfied with just giving up and letting India take over?

Quit calling me a troll! Wake up, this is real life... India's wages are drastically lowering than the U.S. The U.S. cannot compete with India for work because of the vast disparity in wages. Are you satisfied with just giving up and letting India take over?
    Wake up, this country was built on immigrants. I'm not afraid of India or any other country's citizens competing for the same jobs that I am. Then again I have faith in my skill set.

Wake up, this country was built on immigrants. I'm not afraid of India or any other country's citizens competing for the same jobs that I am. Then again I have faith in my skill set.
    These people are not immigrants! There are lots of different visas, but they can be divided into two main groups -- immigrant visa and non-immigrant visa. An H1B is a non-immigrant visa.

Here's an example of how the two are treated differently even though it has nothing to do with the actuarial profession or employment in general: in the state of South Carolina (probably most states as well), if you want to get a concealed weaopns permit, you have to be either a U.S. citizen or the holder of an immigrant visa (a green card). Even if the legislature wanted to give non-immigrant visa holders a concealed weapons permit, it would be pointless because a non-immigrant visa holder *cannot posess* a firearm pursuant to federal law.

This country was NOT built on non-immigrants. People in England didn't work for companies based in the U.S. because no such arrangement existed. If you wanted to work in the U.S., you had to come over here, apply for citizenship, and park your butt in this country permanently. Lots of people did that (see photographs of the crowds at Ellis Island in the 1800's).

Today, when presented with the choice of immigrating here and gaining U.S. citizenship or coming here on a non-immigrant visa, besides the immigration limits (not at all a recent change in federal law, by the way), it's just easier to be a "temp" so that you don't have to worry about forever leaving your family behind in India or whatever country you came from.

The wages these people earn go straight back to their home country, depriving the U.S. of the economic benefits that are normally obtained by people working here.

I hope everyone has enjoyed my lecture on economics and history.

P.S. I have faith in my skill set as well, but the problem is that Indian labor is so cheap, it's cheaper to hire two Indians to do your job that you used to do all by yourself. I was told this directly by an FSA who is a VP (or senior VP, I don't recall). He doesn't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by JS1; July 21st 2009 at 01:03 AM.

Actuary.com - Level V Poster sohpmalvin's Avatar
    This attitude is fantastic. Salute!
    A&J Study Materials (anjstudymanual.com)

Provides study manuals and questions banks for exam P/1, FM/2 and MFE/3F

P.S. I have faith in my skill set as well, but the problem is that Indian labor is so cheap, it's cheaper to hire two Indians to do your job that you used to do all by yourself. I was told this directly by an FSA who is a VP (or senior VP, I don't recall). He doesn't make this stuff up.
    Thanks for the lesson on economics and history, at this time I don't have the energy to debate it but I do have an issue with the last statement (quoted for emphasis). If you can be that easily replaced then you have no one to blame but yourself. Is your VP or SVP friend afraid of getting replaced by the same cohort of people that you are scared of? Ever wonder why not?

Actuary.com - Level III Poster nostalgiajesskang's Avatar
    NoMoreExams, you are really a man!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information