Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to get actuary position on H1

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nostalgiajesskang View Post
    NoMoreExams, you are really a man!
    My gf agrees

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreExams View Post
    Thanks for the lesson on economics and history, at this time I don't have the energy to debate it but I do have an issue with the last statement (quoted for emphasis). If you can be that easily replaced then you have no one to blame but yourself. Is your VP or SVP friend afraid of getting replaced by the same cohort of people that you are scared of? Ever wonder why not?
    Really, so it's MY fault that the U.S. government has no problem with skilled professional labor being shipped overseas so that the government can pay me unemployment compensation, subsidize my COBRA premiums and collect nothing in payroll and incomes taxes. Why I ever ignored my constituents and voted for those bills I just don't know. Stupid me! I should balance the needs of the citizens and the corporate lobbyists better in the future or I might not be re-elected to Congress next year.

BTW there is no one who is safe from layoffs. If you are a manager and most of your employees are now in India instead of on your floor, your days are numbered.
    Last edited by JS1; July 21st 2009 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
    Really, so it's MY fault that the U.S. government has no problem with skilled professional labor being shipped overseas so that the government can pay me unemployment compensation, subsidize my COBRA premiums and collect nothing in payroll and incomes taxes. Why I ever ignored my constituents and voted for those bills I just don't know. Stupid me! I should balance the needs of the citizens and the corporate lobbyists better in the future or I might not be re-elected to Congress next year.

BTW there is no one who is safe from layoffs. If you are a manager and most of your employees are now in India instead of on your floor, your days are numbered.
    I addressed this in another thread. Answer me this, do you think competition is good or bad?

Fair competition is, without a doubt, the best economic system. Failures like North Korea and the USSR do not have an economic system like ours that takes fair competition and turns out the best living standard the world has ever known.

Unfair competition, on the other hand, is no better than Standard Oil or the old Ma Bell. Letting India break our kneecaps on wages is one step short of treason in my book.

For example, let's pretend that McDonald's on 8th street charges $1.50 for a Big Mac. McDonald's on 12th street charges 35 cents for a Big Mac. Very few people will refuse to walk or drive an extra four blocks to save such a large amount of money.

The McDonald's on 12th street can survive on the 35 cents Big Mac because their employees are paid $2.20 an hour, whereas the McDonald's on 8th street has people in the restaurant who make $7.25 an hour. The McDonald's on 12th street got a waiver from the Department of Labor to import workers from overseas who are happy to work there for $2.20 an hour.

If the McDonald's on 12th street isn't burned to the ground by the time the wage disparity is eliminated once news of its existence is made, I would be surprised.

The actuarial world can get away with this, for now, because it's not in-your-face like my McDonald's example.
    Last edited by JS1; July 21st 2009 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
    Fair competition is, without a doubt, the best economic system. Failures like North Korea and the USSR do not have an economic system like ours that takes fair competition and turns out the best living standad the world has ever known.

Unfair competition, on the other hand, is no better than Standard Oil or the old Ma Bell. Letting India break our kneecaps on wages is one step short of treason in my book.

For example, let's pretend that McDonald's on 8th street charges $1.50 for a Big Mac. McDonald's on 12th street charges 35 cents for a Big Mac. Very few people will refuse to walk or drive an extra four blocks to save such a large amount of money.

The McDonald's on 12th street can survive on the 35 cents Big Mac because their employees are paid $2.20 an hour, whereas the McDonald's on 8th street has people in the restaurant who make $7.25 an hour. The McDonald's on 12th street got a waiver from the Department of Labor to import workers from overseas who are happy to work there for $2.20 an hour.

If the McDonald's on 12th street isn't burned to the ground by the time the wage disparity is eliminated once news of its existence is made, I would be surprised.

The actuarial world can get away with this, for now, because it's not in-your-face like my McDonald's example.
    This may be true for a getting a good ol' cheeseburger but let's say we take it a step further and look at ... universities. If foreigners come here and can do better work, should we deny them? Should we halt progress in R&D just because you are afraid they are smarter than you (and willing to work for less)? By your logic WalMart is bad as well since it puts the Ma and Pa shops out of business. I said before and I'm afraid this might be my last post for the day, competition is good. I enjoy being challenged. If there's a better person for my job, I'm either not trying hard enough or I should go look elsewhere. I don't work at a super competitive job so maybe I'm not experiencing your competition, I don't know where you were employed. I guess my point is competition breeds innovation in my book and I welcome it.

If foreigners immigrate here and can do better work than I, even at lower wages, I will welcome them with open arms and say "welcome to America, my fellow American".

The United States is basically 100% immigrant (excepting the Native Americans, but even then, they could be immigrants if our species originated in Africa, but I digress).

Immigration means you move to another country and put down roots. It DOES NOT mean that you come here and work temporarily and wire the money overseas to your family. Those are as different as night and day.

I don't have a problem with Wal-Mart, in that some stores that they have put out of business didn't deserve to stay in business because they weren't competitive. They thought they could skate by on momentum and they were proven wrong. The only thing I don't like about Wal-Mart is that their products are cheap, and I am willing to pay more for quality. That doesn't mean I spend more money overall. I have clothes that are three years old, and I refuse to buy any clothes from Wal-Mart because it's low quality and doesn't last three years like American Eagle or Hollister.
    Last edited by JS1; July 21st 2009 at 02:35 AM.

I can see your point JS1 though you do have a rather ... non-PC way about it. However I believe that a good portion of the people who come here on a visa plan to find a way to stay here and become a citizen. Would you disagree?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    " The only thing I don't like about Wal-Mart is that their products are cheap, and I am willing to pay more for quality"

Meaning you are willing to pay someone according to the quality of work they provide. I can't see many companies hiring employees that they don't feel possess the quality skills needed for the job.

This means that you were working for a company that didn't appreciate the quality of your work, or found you to be very replaceable.

Perhaps instead of trolling these message boards with propoganda about how terrible everything is in America, you can get another job... maybe something in politics? :rolleye:

Shouldn't you be outside, patrolling the US/Mexican border making sure no camouflage covered actuaries are trying to sneak in?

Talking about the problem isn't helping! Make a difference! Take Action! Go round up those scheming actuaries, computer programmers, engineers, and CEO's who are taking our jobs (and have the NERVE to send their wages to their families) and ship em back where they came from! It is unpatriotic for a red blooded american to be replaced by an inferior replacement (Bill Clinton ----> George W.) But the point is... not everyone would agree that the replacement is, in fact, inferior... would they?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Someone needs to ban this troll already.

Give it up, a troll is not someone who disagrees with your viewpoint. Banning me for having a non-majority opinion would turn what is presently a discussion forum into a cheerleader forum. It's supposed to have information for people who want to become actuaries, and censoring opinions will not do them any good.

If I had someone tell me that ceasing the exam series is a very bad idea, and quitting your job in order to work somewhere that does have a student program is strongly recommended, I would have done that! I think that new people deserve to have this kind of information.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information