I'm a junior in college and looking for an actuarial internship, no exams yet. I know it's a long shot for an actuarial internship, but ill try anyway.
Any advice on how to improve my resume is greatly appreciated.
Objective To obtain a position as an actuarial intern.
Exams and Education SOA Course FM/CAS Exam 2: To be completed May 2011
Bachelor in Actuarial Science, May 2012
Central Connecticut State University, New Brittan, CT
• Extensive computer training, including knowledge of multiple networking environments and business software packages. Knowledge of programming in both Java and C++.
• Demonstrated achiever with exceptional knowledge of mathematics through the Calculus III level, including but not limited to probability, statistics, discrete math, advanced algebra, financial mathematics
• Skilled at learning new concepts quickly, working well under pressure, and communicating ideas clearly and effectively
• Enjoy challenging and engaging activities to utilize and broaden my mathematics and computer skills
• Conversational Spanish skills
Career History and Volunteer Work
Child Care Assistant. YMCA, Some town October 2009-present
• Cared for an average of 15 children per shift, ensuring their safety and solving problems as they arose.
• Exceeded supervisor’s expectations and earning a 90% score on review within first 6 months.
Assistant to the Director of Mortgage Development, Mortgage Company,Anytown.. 2007-2009
• Worked closely with Directors and senior level employees to learn all aspects of mortgage development.
• Proficient in data entry and performed telemarketing calls resulting in achieving monthly goals beyond manager’s expectations. Recorded and updated marketing and financial reports concerning new business proposals.
• Acquired new customers by delivering a strong case and demonstration of East Coast Mortgage Corp. products and personnel. Voted best customer service representative
• Versed in office machinery products such as Encompass, data used by senior management to analyze market conditions and business outlooks.
Chair, Publicity Committee. SUNY Albany Relay for Life, Albany, NY 2007-2008 2007-2008
• Initiated campus wide advertising campaign to recruit new participants. Designed marketing materials which resulted of the addition of 15 new participants.
• Piloted own relay for life team and solicited over $500 in donations towards cancer research. Led team members to raise more than $1,000 collectively.
Memberships and Affiliations
• Member, NSCS, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, University of Albany Chapter. Must rank top 20% in class. 5% of all students nationwide are awarded the Honor.
• Member, Students of Albany Against Cancer.
• Member, SUNY Albany Swim Club.
- Under "extensive computer training", list specific software that you know well, especially something that an employer would be interested in.
- Programming skills are highly valued by some firms. You might set Java and C++ as a separate bullet point.
- I would try to streamline the phrasing on the second bullet point under "Summary".
Aside from not having exams, I'd say that your resume looks fairly strong for a college student looking for an internship. If you can pass one or two of the exams with 10's, that would help tremendously.