Actuarial Discussion Forum

Actuarial Jobs from Actuary.com    Submit Your Actuarial Resume Anonymously
Actuarial Blog - Actuarial Employment Articles, Help, Jobs and News
Other Insurance Jobs    Other Financial Jobs    Other Health Jobs    Other IT Jobs    Other Jobs, Careers and Employment    Actuarial News
Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Courses - Online    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Materials    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Seminars - Live
Directory of Actuarial Recruiters    Directory of Actuarial Schools    Actuarial Grads Network    Actuary.com 

D.W. Simpson & Co, Inc. - Worldwide Actuarial Jobs
Life Jobs 
Health Jobs Pension Jobs Casualty Jobs Salary Apply
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA - Pryor Associates
Nat'l/Int'l Actuarial Openings: Life P&C Health Pensions Finance
ACTEX Publications and MadRiver Books
Serving students worldwide for over 40 years
Advertise Here - Reach Actuarial Professionals
Advertising Information
Actuarial Careers, Inc. - Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions by geographic region, specialization, or salary
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters - Top Actuarial Jobs
Salary Surveys  Apply Online   Bios   Casualty   Health   Life   Pension

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MS in Actuarial Science, University of Connecticut

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

MS in Actuarial Science, University of Connecticut

Hi,
    I am a recent college graduate with a Bachelors degree in math. I am thinking about applying to UCONN's M.S. in Actuarial Science program. Does anyone know how selective they are? (How many people apply vs. how many people they accept?) I had a 3.6 undergraduate GPA and I've passed the first 2 exams. Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

For details on selectivity, contact the school directly - they probably have better information and can also tell you what they want in applicants. With a 3.6 GPA and 2 exams passed, is there a reason why you're going for an M.S. instead of getting into an entry-level position?
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

[url]http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=174[/url] - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Well, I've been submitting my resume to every entry level actuarial position I can find for the last several months and haven't been successful yet. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my math degree in college, so I didn't get any internship experience, which I think is really hurting my job search. I'm hoping that in a Masters program, I'll be able to find an internship and that way, when I finish the program I'll have a masters degree, an internship, and hopefully another exam or 2, and therefore be a more attractive candidate to employers.

With a 3.6 GPA and 2 exams passed [which ... oddly enough, is almost the same GPA and exams passed that I had when I got hired], if you're not getting hired your problem isn't education - it might be interview skills. If you're not even getting interviews, it might be your resume. A master's degree isn't going to fix those things; make sure your resume and interview skills are up to snuff, knock out another exam or two, and keep plugging away.

I've said it before, I'll keep saying it - internship experience is overrated. Sure, it's nice to have ... but it's not a make-or-break thing. At this point, you're done with your bachelor's; you want a full-time job. Don't waste time trying to get an internship so you can try to get a full-time job, just land the full-time job and be done with it.

[url]http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=174[/url] - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Thank you for your responses. I've only had one interview for an actuarial position, but I've had my resume critiqued by friends and family, by the career services center at my college, and by an ASA at a local insurance company who was kind enough to set up a networking meeting with me. What else would you suggest I do to improve my resume?

So the resume is good - what about interview skills? Have you hit the career center to make sure you're either not talking your way out of a job, or not showing enough interest in the discussion?

I've been practicing my interview skills and plan on setting up another appointment with career services to go over them. In the meantime, any suggestions on how to get that next interview?

Keep applying. If you're limiting yourself geographically, open up where you're willing to go; nothing prevents you from leaving the area you want to be in, going somewhere else for a few years to get the experience you want, and then coming back.

If it's entry-level, apply. Even if it's "we want 1-2 years of experience," apply. Work on the next 1-2 exams, show that you're dedicated to the field and that you're going to get in no matter what.

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement. I hope something works out soon!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information