Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Thread: CAS Exam 3 Spring 2005 #17

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

CAS Exam 3 Spring 2005 #17

An insurer selects risks from a population that consists of 3 indep groups.

The claims generation process for each group is poisson.

The 1st group consists of 50% of the population. These individuals are expected to generate one claim per year.

The 2nd group consists of 35% of the population. These individuals are expected to generate two claims per year.

Individuals in the 3rd group are expected to generate three claims per year.

A certain insured has two claims in year 1.

What is the probability that this insured has more than two claims in year 2?

A. Less than 21%
    B. At least 21%, but less than 25%
    C. At least 25%, but less than 29%
    D. At least 29%, but less than 33%
    E. 33% or more

I got the answer was 23.98%, which is B. However, the answer sheet says the correct one is C.

I calculated the probabilities of the insured has more than two claims in year 2 for each group, then times the each groups' proportion of the population. I did not use the condition that the insured has two claims in year 1, since I think year 2 is indep with year 1. Is there anything wrong?

Thank you very much

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    You should use the condition that the insured has 2 claims in year 1. This helps identify which group he is in. The technique to do so is called Bayes' Theorem.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    I think I got it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Assume A = 2 claims in year 1, B = >2 claims in year 2, I,II and III = Group 1,2 and 3, respectively.
    I first find p(A|I),p(A|II),p(A|III) and p(B|I),p(B|II),p(B|III), use Bayes' Theorem find p(B), then I find p(A&B|I)=p(A|I)*p(B|I), and p(A&B|II), p(A&B|III) as well.
    p(A&B)=p(A&B|I)*p(I)+p(A&B|II)*p(II)+p(A&B|III)*p( III)
    finally, p(A&B)/p(B)=26.05%

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by M2010 View Post
    I think I got it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Assume A = 2 claims in year 1, B = >2 claims in year 2, I,II and III = Group 1,2 and 3, respectively.
    I first find p(A|I),p(A|II),p(A|III) and p(B|I),p(B|II),p(B|III), use Bayes' Theorem find p(B), then I find p(A&B|I)=p(A|I)*p(B|I), and p(A&B|II), p(A&B|III) as well.
    p(A&B)=p(A&B|I)*p(I)+p(A&B|II)*p(II)+p(A&B|III)*p( III)
    finally, p(A&B)/p(B)=26.05%
    Hi M2010, you have the right answer choice, wrong answer. That's progress! You need to find the probability of being in each group. Bayes theorem should be set up as follows:

Pr (Group I | 2 claims in a year) = Pr (2 claims in a year | Group I) * Pr (Group I) = ((e^-1)/2)*(0.5) = 0.092.

Do this for all 3 groups. Sum up the 3 probabilities. Divide each probability by the total probability to get a relative probability. These 3 numbers should add up to 1, and they are the conditional probability of being in each group.

Finally, find the probability of having more than 2 claims in a year for each group. Multiply these 3 probabilities by each group's conditional probability, and you should end up with about 0.2689.

This problem is calculation intensive, but it's absolutely essential to know how to do. Good luck!

Thread Information