Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: List of companies

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Hats off Ken! This has given me a new weekend project. Thats a lot of companies. I need to make sure I get rejected from all of them before I pass FM in August.
    Amazing work. Definitely I recommend this for sticky.

Outstanding. Was looking for something like this. Thanks Ken!

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Forgot one: Canal Insurance in Greenville, SC. They insure 18 wheelers.

Right after I got laid off, I found a job posting from them for actuarial analyst. I thought "this is awesome, how many actuarial analysts could there possibly be in this stupid town?" given that there isn't anything else there as far as I know.

They chose not to interview me. It may be that they pulled the ad without filling it. That did happen to me later (at least they were nice enough to tell me this, unlike Canal Ins.) Or maybe 12 years experience is too much and they want young blood not old fogies like me. Who knows.

Before someone replies with "well your resume must be just awful" I would like to say that I had my resume reviewed and touched up by a professional firm known as Lee Hecht Harrison. In fact my counselor knew someone who knew someone at Canal Ins. Still nothing.

Point is, a list of hundreds of companies is not of much use when the number of applicants far exceeds the number of jobs.

In this job market, that is very common, but if you are considering spending a lot of time and money taking SOA exams you might want to reconsider.

p.s. after I moved to Dallas and got a job (the one and only job I was offered), I got one call from a recruiter wanting to know if I was interested in a job in Nashville, TN. I declined because I already had a job and I wasn't interested in relocating.

Previously my phone rang a couple of times a year from recruiters even though I didn't have a resume posted anywhere. Now I have my resume posted on this website as well as several others and the calls are a tiny fraction of what they used to be.

Take the SOA and the college professor's comments and the Department of Labor projections with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by JS1; September 10th 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Hey, wait a second here. You might have a bad opinion of this profession due to your experiences, but don't go trashing Greenville by calling it a stupid town. It's actually a very nice city with a lot to do. Just because you hate the world doesn't mean you should start belittling places you've never been to.

Quote Originally Posted by mtg View Post
    Hey, wait a second here. You might have a bad opinion of this profession due to your experiences, but don't go trashing Greenville by calling it a stupid town. It's actually a very nice city with a lot to do. Just because you hate the world doesn't mean you should start belittling places you've never been to.
    I should have said that I lived in Greenville which is why I first applied to the job with Canal Insurance Company.

I lived there for 5 years and stand by my statement that it is a stupid town. The justice system is corrupt and most of the citizenry consists of hillbillies. If I never darken the doorstep of GSP airport again, that would be fine with me.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Is there anyone/anything in this world that you hold dear or is the whole universe out to get you?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Dear God, he is a nutcase! This just confirms it.

People who don't care for a professional field also don't tend to hang out on that profession's forums every day. Unless they are bitter people and enjoy crushing other people's dreams.

plenty of things give me pleasure...

my job (pensions but not exam track)
    my Yamaha 600 sportbike
    sex
    riding rollercoasters
    listening to music

Geez... all I did was provide information that Canal Insurance Company was not on the list. Normally if I didn't particularly care for the city I used to live in, I wouldn't bother commenting on it. However, of all the places I have lived in and visited (the former having more weight), it's hard to think of a worse place to live than Greenville, SC, at least for me anyway. Too bad if you disagree.
    Last edited by JS1; September 11th 2009 at 02:32 AM.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    You just seem like a very angry individual who likes to blame his surroundings rather than maybe think that you are partly to blame. Then again you enjoy working in pensions so maybe you ARE a masochist.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by .Godspeed. View Post
    Bump! Mods, can we sticky this thread? I think that it would serve quite useful to both the entry-level and experienced.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by troydanielbecker View Post
    I agree to the previous post about usefuleness. And it's encouraging too, for the opportunities out there for those of us job hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by B411et View Post
    Ken- THANK YOU very much for posting these lists and for categorizing the companies. I only wish I had found these lists during my internship search. However, now I can use them for when I look for a full-time entry position next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by linmath05 View Post
    I know this is an post from some times ago, but still
    Ken
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE POSTING!
    THAT IS VERY USEFUL!
    Quote Originally Posted by ngdarr View Post
    This is excellent already.

Truly thank you.
    Mods, can we PLEASE get this thread stickied? Thanks!

-.G.
    act justly. walk humbly. love mercy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information