Recruiting Actuaries and Risk Prof. Since 1986
Actuarial Jobs     Surveys     For Employers
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Thread: Question regarding the difficulty of MFE.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster

Question regarding the difficulty of MFE.

I am wondering compared to FM, how had is MFE?
    Is studying MFE for two months sufficient?

MFE is definitely harder than both P and FM. But it is hard to rate its difficulty without a standard.

Unable to answer your second question since it varies with different person. But I am trying it now and plan to write it in August.

Oh ok. Cool. I hope I pass the P exam this July so i can sit for the November MFE. In terms of the number of the hours you need to put in to be ready, how is MFE compared to FM? I understand the material is harder but is the manual the same size?

Because I use different material for each of them(Guo for FM, ASM for MFE) and I haven't finished studying for MFE, I cannot compare them directly yet.

Well, I will just give you some idea about the size of MFE material. I am using the 8th edition which is consist of 26 lessons and 11 practice exams. The last page of lesson 26 (including solution) is page 525. About 800 pages for the whole manual.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanCounter View Post
    Because I use different material for each of them(Guo for FM, ASM for MFE) and I haven't finished studying for MFE, I cannot compare them directly yet.

Well, I will just give you some idea about the size of MFE material. I am using the 8th edition which is consist of 26 lessons and 11 practice exams. The last page of lesson 26 (including solution) is page 525. About 800 pages for the whole manual.
    I think ASM manual for the FM exams was about that size.
    I guess I can expect the same manual size but this manual with chapters that have lessons that are harder to understand.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    MFE is definitely harder than FM. 2 months can be ok as long as it's an aggresive 2 months. It's quality of studying over quantity when it comes to MFE which does not contain a lot of material.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    Do any of the VEE's (macroeconomics, for example) help prepare for MFE? are any of the VEE's necessary?

The most difficult thing I found in preparing for FM was all of the new definitions & terminology needed. The mathematics was not difficult part for me. I'm assuming MFE is a similar thing.

Any advice to this matter?

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    No the VEE's are not necessary for MFE, and I can't think offhand how they would be helpful.

I would not assume MFE is similar to FM. My opinion having been through them all is that FM has the easiest math of the prelims and MFE has the hardest math. What makes MFE manageable is that there isn't a ton of material.

The best preparation is to get up to date study materials with a reputation of being harder than the test. motivation is correct by saying quality of study is more important than quantity. Learn how to work the tough problems, and really try to understand them. None of the formulas or techniques are pointless - they all have a reason why they have been used.

Thread Information