Recruiting Actuaries and Risk Prof. Since 1986
Actuarial Jobs     Surveys     For Employers
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Thread: Is Dr. Finan's guide enough to pass ?

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Is Dr. Finan's guide enough to pass ?

Is it possible to pass Exam FM using only Dr. Finan's free text on exam FM? Does it cover all the material on the syllabus in depth ? I would use numerous practice tests and problems along with the guide, but I would like to avoid purchasing any expensive text books if possible. Also, how much math is tested on this ? I am currently a high school student, so I have decided to do this exam before P since I do not have a calculus class until next year. I know the very basics of derivatives, limits, and integration. Is that enough math to pass this test ? If not I could probably teach myself the math using various online resources. Thanks.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    It might give you a good foundation for the material, but I wouldn't say Dr. Finan's manual should be treated as a replacement. IMO it should be paired with a manual of your choice and there to give you alternate explanations. But it's entirely possible to pass with just that. It's also possible to pass the exam without studying at all and just guessing but you wouldn't want to risk that. Same here. Better to be OVER prepared than under.

Another point I'd mention. I don't believe Finan's text covers Derivative Markets (which I think makes up about 30% of the exam) so either way you should definitely invest in another manual. My highest recommendation goes to ASM. Ask for a late xmas gift from the folks if money is tight!

I managed to acquire the ASM 2009 version. I assume even though it is a few years old it is still adequate to pass the exam ? I guess I will just use Dr. Finan's guide as additional reference material for any topics I am hazy about.

Quote Originally Posted by trsspidey View Post
    Another point I'd mention. I don't believe Finan's text covers Derivative Markets (which I think makes up about 30% of the exam) so either way you should definitely invest in another manual. My highest recommendation goes to ASM. Ask for a late xmas gift from the folks if money is tight!
    I just downloaded the .pdf. It was last updated December 2015 and does have a Derivative Markets section.

i need some documents for exam FM

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I just downloaded the .pdf. It was last updated December 2015 and does have a Derivative Markets section.
    hello
    please I have already passed exam FM but I still need books in that exam for my personal use I will be very happy if you send me your pdf at my email address : p_ekani@yahoo.fr
    thank you
    best regards

This is his website where I found the .pdfs: http://faculty.atu.edu/mfinan/nnotes.html

Thread Information