Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Thread: Is an actuarial career for me?

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Is an actuarial career for me?

I wish I knew if this was the right place to post this, but I will give it a shot.

My name is Lauren and I am a 24 year old college graduate with a degree in Mathematics Education. I need some advice… Err, a lot of advice… Maybe a story or two?

Okay, so this is going to be hard to summarize but I’ll give it my best shot. Since graduating from college, I have undergone seven knee surgeries on my right knee. After each surgery, my knee would never fully recover and I was out of work for about a year now. The only job I had post college was a small tutoring job because between surgeries, PT, and doctor’s appointments it is about all I couid do at the time.

Now, I have “recovering” from my seventh knee surgery and I feel as if I am in a quarter life crisis. I have the label of an “enigma” right now because the doctor’s do not know what is wrong with my knee. I have gone through tests, biopsy’s, etc… It is still “blowing up” and causing me trouble.

Since I have been out of school for so long, I feel like my brain has become “rotten”. My mathematical knowledge has decreased from not practicing it and I feel extremely rusty. I have researched new careers since teaching does not seem to be an option right now and I came across the actuarial field.

Although I am a mathematics major, I am intimidated by these tests. I do feel inferior when compared to other mathematicians because I feel there are certain levels of those who understand mathematics.

I guess I am just looking for almost advice… Whether to take an online class to prepare or maybe a story for someone who was in a similar situation. Any advice, really, would be great at this point.

Any questions, please ask!

-Lauren

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    Hey Lauren,

Sorry to hear about your knee that sounds like a huge hurdle to overcome. I am 26 and a masters student and also new here so I can't give you much specific advice but perhaps a few suggestions.

I would say there are definitely ways to exercise your brain without being in school or having a job. Do some exploring of what interests you. There are always interesting videos on YouTube (check out this channel for example https://www.youtube.com/user/numberphile). For more in depth concepts you could go to Khan Academy or even buy and read a text book.

Don't stress too much though! Take care of your knee and figure out what you want. There's no rush, 24 is young still. Two years ago I was 24 and felt like I hadn't done much since college and I decided to get a masters in economics. I thought a lot about it but I was never sure - I just decided to go with it. Now I've decided I don't want to be an economist and I've spent two years working really hard at something that my not advance may career - what a waste! I learned a lot but maybe I would have been better off waiting until I was sure. Now I have to start fresh in a new field and I am two years behind having invested a lot of time and energy into something it turns out I don't want.

So take you're time and decide what you want. Don't make any rash decisions. Concentrate on your health and your interests. Think not only about what you're interested in but what you actually want to DO. Social science interests me a lot, but I don't want to be an economist! It's more of something I like to think about.

You've got all the time in the world. Your brain isn't "rotten". It's never too late to do what you want - you just have to decide what that is.

If I could recommend a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IywjWWlxF8

- Dan

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Hello, nice to meet you!

Thread Information