Actuarial Discussion Forum

Actuarial Jobs from Actuary.com    Submit Your Actuarial Resume Anonymously
Actuarial Blog - Actuarial Employment Articles, Help, Jobs and News
Other Insurance Jobs    Other Financial Jobs    Other Health Jobs    Other IT Jobs    Other Jobs, Careers and Employment    Actuarial News
Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Courses - Online    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Materials    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Seminars - Live
Directory of Actuarial Recruiters    Directory of Actuarial Schools    Actuarial Grads Network    Actuary.com 

D.W. Simpson & Co, Inc. - Worldwide Actuarial Jobs
Life Jobs 
Health Jobs Pension Jobs Casualty Jobs Salary Apply
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA - Pryor Associates
Nat'l/Int'l Actuarial Openings: Life P&C Health Pensions Finance
ACTEX Publications and MadRiver Books
Serving students worldwide for over 40 years
Advertise Here - Reach Actuarial Professionals
Advertising Information
Actuarial Careers, Inc. - Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions by geographic region, specialization, or salary
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters - Top Actuarial Jobs
Salary Surveys  Apply Online   Bios   Casualty   Health   Life   Pension

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many hours per week do you study for an actuarial exam?

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

How many hours per week do you study for an actuarial exam?

I think I spent too much time studying for Exam FM and that is why I probably did not pass. I studied at my workplace for 25 to 33hours per week with a 1week break and Saturdays and Sundays off for 6months. I did not have an Exam FM study guide until mid march. That probably hurt me too. I was slightly fatigued during the exam and my study hours could of been why. I plan to spend 20hours per week and take a two week study break from now until Exam FM.

How many hours per week do you spend studying for an actuarial exam? How many months do you spend studying? Just curious.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    I spend about 20 hours a week studying and I don't take breaks. I also don't increase that 20hr/wk amount just before the test like others do, no cramming.

I must say, I don't think overstudying is a reason for failure.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan_Horse View Post
    I spend about 20 hours a week studying and I don't take breaks. I also don't increase that 20hr/wk amount just before the test like others do, no cramming.

I must say, I don't think overstudying is a reason for failure.
    IMO, that's impressive to be able to put that many hours in that early before an exam.

My study schedule usually starts around 5-10 hours a week and gradually increases as the exam gets closer. I usually put in about 40-50 hours of studying the week before the exam.

Of course, as you can tell, it depends on your preference.

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster binky_4me's Avatar
    i don't think over studying is cause for failure either, unless maybe over confidence plays a part and you glaze over questions or something like that... i always think i tend to study too much, but that's because i want to pass sooooo badly. for exam p, i studied for 5 months roughly 6-8 hrs a day, 5days a week, no weekends. for exam fm (the 2nd time), i studied for 4 months roughly 15-20 hrs a week. but that's me...it paid off for exam p, when i studied way less for exam fm the 1st time i failed miserably, so we'll see if going back to my tried and true works. less than 3 weeks to go...
    binky

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    I studied at most 2 weeks for less than 10 hours a day straight before the exam.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    I'm very curious about how much studying is required for the first 1/P actuarial exam, and how that amount of study time compares to the amounts required for the other exams. I am new to this process, and was astounded at the recommended 300 hours of study time for 1/P. I have absolutely never ever even come close to studying for that amount of time for any single class, and I daresay I have never studied that much over the course of a single semester (all 20 units included).

I was wondering if I could get some feedback about the number of hours spent studying for these exams by those who have already passed them; perhaps along with SAT & ACT scores, and typical amounts of time devoted to studying for regular classes (for some perspective).

For me, I received a 780 MSAT and 35 on the math section of the ACT, with a total of maybe 5 hours of studying for both (consisting of a few practice tests). I also got a 5 on my AP Calculus exam in high school, without ever having opened the book or doing any studying or homework.

Thanks

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Real easy way for you to check. Look at the syllabus, look at the SOA sample questions. Figure out how much you know / need to learn.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information