Actuarial Discussion Forum - Professional Discussions for Professional Actuaries

Actuarial Jobs from Actuary.com    Submit Your Actuarial Resume Anonymously
Other Insurance Jobs    Other Financial Jobs    Other Health Jobs    Other IT Jobs    Other Jobs, Careers and Employment    Actuarial News
Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Courses - Online    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Materials    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Seminars - Live
Directory of Actuarial Recruiters    Directory of Actuarial Schools    Actuarial Grads Network    Actuary.com 

D.W. Simpson & Co, Inc. - Worldwide Actuarial Jobs
Life Jobs 
Health Jobs Pension Jobs Casualty Jobs Salary Apply
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA - Pryor Associates
Nat'l/Int'l Actuarial Openings: Life P&C Health Pensions Finance
ACTEX Publications and MadRiver Books
Serving students worldwide for over 40 years
Advertise Here - Reach Actuarial Professionals
Advertising Information
Actuarial Careers, Inc. - Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions by geographic region, specialization, or salary
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters - Top Actuarial Jobs
Salary Surveys  Apply Online   Bios   Casualty   Health   Life   Pension

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online Prep Courses

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster

Online Prep Courses

I am a full time college student looking to prepare for my first exam. I have noticed a couple of online prep courses, such as The Infinite Actuary, Dr. Ramanathan, ACTEX, and a couple others. Does anyone have any opinion on which is the best prep course?

Actuary.com - Level I Poster Oliphaunt182's Avatar
    Do your research before picking an online prep course. Some courses are self study courses where the professor will post a syllabus and its a general guideline of when they will post answers to sample questions for those sections. These courses require a lot of self discipline and the professor is just there to answer questions and test taking tips and shortcuts. I believe Actex seminars are like this.

The second type is what I would call a teaching tool. These prep courses offer video instructionals of the topics as well as sample questions and tips/tricks. So essentially the same as above but with video answers to tests and problems, and a professor taught lecture on the topics. The infinate actuary courses are like this.

And finally there is the live seminars or what I like to call a crash course in exam review. These are fantastic (at least for me) to take a month before the exam right before you start taking nothing but practice tests. These go over all the material in a setting where you can ask questions and specific strategies are shown for doing the questions. These however can be quite pricey if you don't live near one however.

Hope that helps, its really an individual choice about which type of studying suits your style. Some people just need set dates for studying, others (like me) need someone to explain it to them and something for me to see visually.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Ah oliphaunt182 said, it totally depends on you, how you like it. I totally agree with him, because I took one online course and live seminar. I liked Dr. O's live seminar much much better than online course. I did not felt I got much help from online course, but the only thing is it is convenient, you do not have to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by brandond View Post
    I am a full time college student looking to prepare for my first exam. I have noticed a couple of online prep courses, such as The Infinite Actuary, Dr. Ramanathan, ACTEX, and a couple others. Does anyone have any opinion on which is the best prep course?
    :smiloe: :confused-:

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Hey

Hey guys, could you please help me out? I am from India and have enrolled for May'08 P1 exam and I am not sure if I can get any help online coz it very difficult to access things from India and also could you please suggest any online course which I can join?

Thanks
    Rashmi

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster
    Rashmi,

I am new to this thing as well but I have found a couple of online web courses. [url]www.theinfiniteactuary.com[/url], [url]http://actuarialexamprep.com/[/url], [url]http://www.guo.coursehost.com/Groups/Config/Home6.asp?LID=1&ky=d_BPDiQVRgHzDiPRUmf_DgHzLVPONUD z[/url] an I think there are more out there. Google actuary online prep courses and you will see them. Also at the actuarial bookstore on their products page you can see different people who may offer online courses. Google their name as well.

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashmi View Post
    Hey guys, could you please help me out? I am from India and have enrolled for May'08 P1 exam and I am not sure if I can get any help online coz it very difficult to access things from India and also could you please suggest any online course which I can join?

Thanks
    Rashmi
    If you suspect you might have problems accessing videos, etc., you might want to check out The Infinite Actuary. Their products are top-notch - very intelligent individuals that work in the field are the instructors of the various online classes/videos and so far, it appears to have been an effective method of learning. As someone has mentioned before, the online videos are very convenient because once they're made, you can access them in whatever order you want and whenever you want (subject to server problems, etc.)

The reason I mentioned your connection problems in the beginning though, is that TIA has great customer service. I've met the two guys that own TIA, and they sacrifice a lot of time to make sure that they can answer any questions or concerns that their customers have. They've put in a lot of work and effort in getting those videos out and servicing their customers right up until the day of the exam. (Also, a nice benefit is that Day is unbelievably generous - he's given away too many iPods and iPhones to count.)

But I'd put a vote in for The Infinite Actuary.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    I am currently studying Exam MFE with the Infinite Actuary.

In a conclusion, I am satisfied with it, though I can't compare it with others as I have not taken any of others. I recommend to listen sample lectures via the Infinite Actuary site to you.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

ACTEX? Georgia State online?

Does Georgia State offer online courses? Are there pre reqs? I'm not taking CALC 3 as a university course.
    I was also considering ACTEX for exams 3 and on. (for both full classes and review seminars)

Actuary.com - Level I Poster

dunno what i am studying...

hey guys,
    i need some help. i am studying for the exam p/1 may 2011 administration and am finding that i am looking at solutions to questions rather than being
    able to do questions straight away. basically i don't think i thoroughly understand what i am studying. i could use some suggestions to what i can do to improve my aptitude for the concepts. please write back.

indiemath

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information