Actuarial Discussion Forum

Actuarial Jobs from Actuary.com    Submit Your Actuarial Resume Anonymously
Actuarial Blog - Actuarial Employment Articles, Help, Jobs and News
Other Insurance Jobs    Other Financial Jobs    Other Health Jobs    Other IT Jobs    Other Jobs, Careers and Employment    Actuarial News
Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Courses - Online    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Materials    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Seminars - Live
Directory of Actuarial Recruiters    Directory of Actuarial Schools    Actuarial Grads Network    Actuary.com 

D.W. Simpson & Co, Inc. - Worldwide Actuarial Jobs
Life Jobs 
Health Jobs Pension Jobs Casualty Jobs Salary Apply
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA - Pryor Associates
Nat'l/Int'l Actuarial Openings: Life P&C Health Pensions Finance
ACTEX Publications and MadRiver Books
Serving students worldwide for over 40 years
Advertise Here - Reach Actuarial Professionals
Advertising Information
Actuarial Careers, Inc.® - Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions by geographic region, specialization, or salary
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters - Top Actuarial Jobs
Salary Surveys  Apply Online   Bios   Casualty   Health   Life   Pension

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Interview - Questions and Answers

Arrow How to Interview - Questions and Answers

Please post interview questions, suggested type of responses, tips and suggestions in this thread.
    Last edited by admin; November 3rd 2005 at 08:05 PM.
    Actuary.com - [URL="http://www.actuary.com"]www.actuary.com[/URL]
    Email - [EMAIL="actuary@actuary.com"]actuary@actuary.com[/EMAIL]

Actuary.com - Level VI Poster Ken's Avatar
    Tell me about yourself.
    Why do you want to be an actuary?
    How did you study for your exams?
    Why haven't you taken/passed exams yet?
    What were your scores on these exams?
    Tell me about a time where you had to work hard to achieve your goals.
    Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and:
    had a member that was difficult to work with.
    failed.
    succeeded.
    What do you do in (organization/activities on resumé).
    What are your strengths?
    What are your weaknesses?
    Where do you see yourself in 5/10/20 years from now.
    What are your goals in life?
    Why should I hire you/ Why do you want to work for (our company).
    What do you do in your free time?
    What do you think about (some current event).
    Do you consider yourself a team worker or an individual worker?
    Tell me about a time when you were the leader of a project/demonstrated leadership.
    How familiar are you with Excel and Access?
    What languages can you program in?

I know there's more, but none come to mind.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    If you were a vegetable, what kind would you be and why?

Despite being a stupid and silly question, you will more than likely get a similar type question at some point during the interview process. Its designed to see how well you "think on your feet". There is really no way to prepare for a question like this but its nice to know that this type of question may come at you so you aren't stunned by the question itself.

Another type of question is one that tests your problem solving skills and thought processing. An example would be, "How many people work for microsoft?" (This is an actual question someone I know was asked in an interview). The idea is they want to see how you derive an answer (the interviewer probably doesn't even know the correct answer).

Here's an incomplete list of suggestions:

1. I can't stress this enough - go get advice, counseling, help, whatever on how to interview. This alone is the best thing you can do to help you get a job - more than "what class should I take", "how many exams do I need", and other commonly asked questions, how well you interview will make or break your chances of getting a job more than anything else.

2. The single best piece of advice I got: when you're asked a question, answer the question and then stop. Don't give a long, 2-3 minute answer where you elaborate on everything you did right in a given situation, answer the question briefly but leave the interviewer room to ask follow-up questions. Talking and talking and talking will just cause the people interviewing you to tune you out.

3. Show a real interest in being an actuary. Show that you understand the exam process and the time involved in passing exams, and that you are serious about earning your FSA/FCAS. When you're asked why you want to be an actuary, don't answer with something like "Well, I'm good in math and know that actuaries use math, and I didn't know what else I could do with a math degree so I figured I'd give this a shot." Be able to explain exactly why you want to be an actuary.

4. In virtually every face-to-face interview you will be asked to go to lunch, dinner, .... some meal. This time is still part of the interview - it's more relaxed, but people can (and have) blown their chances to get hired during this time. Be able to carry a conversation - if you sit through the meal without talking or asking questions, you won't get hired. Generally you'll be with people you might one day work alongside - the question they're trying to answer is, "If this person worked in the cubicle next to me every day, would I have a problem with it?"

5. Ask questions. Ask about the job, the company, the department, .... make the questions relevant. Also try to make a personal connection with the interviewer in a friendly, casual way - show that you're interested in them and their experiences too. Not asking questions indicates that you either aren't interested or haven't researched the company (a sign that you can't prepare for important tasks).

Things you should NEVER say during the interview:
    -- "So, how much do you make?" This is considered very personal and will get you tossed from consideration before you make it out the door.
    -- "So when I get hired, ...." Implying that you know you're going to get hired will get you not hired.
    -- "I hated my last job because ...." Even if you did hate your last job and there was a great reason, spin it in a positive light. Employers generally believe that if you were unhappy at your last job, you'll be unhappy in your next one as well - and they don't want that.
    -- Never give your life history. You'll just be giving the company an easy way to find some reason not to hire you. (If nothing else, this indicates you can't keep quiet on things you need to be quiet about - something you will have to do as an actuary.)

Actuary.com - Level II Poster Denny Crane's Avatar
    I'll add the folowing. For everything, gives examples from your own experiences...this helps draw a picture in the interviewers mind that you can do certain things...rather just saying you can do things...examples give evidence and proof that you are who you say.
    1) How much do you want to make. - tell them you are looking more at the opportunity, company, chances for advancement than the money.
    2) Some employers will want to know that you will want to "remain" where the job is located. Many people move back to their roots and employers look for people who won't want to relocated after a year or so. They might ask where you grew up or why you want to live in there.
    3) What are your computer skills - find out what they use beforehand, give examples of projects you have worked on, spreadsheets, writing macros in excel, programming in c, sas, etc. are all good to have
    4) Tell me what an actuary does.
    5) They may test your thinking ability - For example, How many gas stations are in texas? - go through the logic of figuring that out....so many people, so many cars, so many miles trips to the gas station, etc.
    6) Why did you choose to be an actuary - tell of your love and passion for math, solving problems, etc.
    7) What was your biggest mistake - they want to know how you dealt with it
    8) What was your biggest success - they want to know you did something you were proud of
    9) How do you deal with difficult people
    10) How do you handle a situation when you think you are right but your boss tells you differently
    11) What activities have you been involved in? - they want to see that you are well rounded, socialable, etc.
    12) Do you work better individually or in a group? - they want to make sure you can do both
    13) When can you start - find out what they are looking for first, then answer.
    14) Have you had any jobs while in school?
    P. S. I'm Denny Crane

Actuary.com - Level II Poster Denny Crane's Avatar
    If they say we dress casual, it does not matter. Always where a suit and tie. Better to overdress than underdress. If they should question you, just tell them I thought it was best to look my best for something this important.
    P. S. I'm Denny Crane

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

thanks!!! :>

i'm having an interview for an actuarial job on tuesday, and i'm so glad i found this post. =D it had been really helpful in giving me clearer ideas on how to handle the interview. =D i've been to numerous interviews before, and until before i was able to read this, i had always been wondering whether i blurted out the 'right' answers during the conversation. thanks a lot!!! :>

I've been knocking off some interviews this past week and here's a couple more that are fresh in my mind.

What was your favorite/least favorite class and why?
    Tell me about a time where you demonstrated initiative.
    An actuary must explain technical work to people outside their practice. Tell me about a time where you had to explain something to someone who had no idea what you were talking about.
    Sometimes clients can call and need work done immediately. Tell me about a time where you had a hectic schedule and how you dealt with it.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Instead of just reading through the questions and thinking up answers, I actually typed them out so I had a clear idea what I was going to say. No need to print it. It just makes sure your answers are well thought out. I felt like it helped.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Actuary.com - Level III Poster
    Here is a good list I found

[url]http://featuredreports.monster.com/firstimpression/100%5Fquestions/[/url]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information