Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to Interview - Questions and Answers

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Thank you for the information.

Hello, I am still preparing my interview. I have some difficulties with looking for a correct answer for the following question.
    What do you think the biggest challenge will be in this job?

There's 2 ways to answer this: one is from your viewpoint, one is from the viewpoint of the position.

Preferred answer: take it from your viewpoint. "Since I'm coming in at entry-level, there's a lot of things I'll have to learn that will come naturally to everyone else. I'll have to get comfortable with programs, terminology and processes - but once I do that, I'd like to be able to build upon how things are done and look for ways to improve and streamline so that I can be an asset to co-workers, my department, and the company going forward."
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    How to answer these two questions:
    "What's your favorite class?" and "What's your least favorite class?"
    I've been asked about these two questions all the time, but I am not sure if there are some secrets or tricks behind these two questions. What do you guys think?

also, "what is your favorite book (or non-textbook)?"

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psp-fifa-fan View Post
    How to answer these two questions:
    "What's your favorite class?" and "What's your least favorite class?"
    I've been asked about these two questions all the time, but I am not sure if there are some secrets or tricks behind these two questions. What do you guys think?

also, "what is your favorite book (or non-textbook)?"
    Stop thinking about every question being a trick. Those questions (non-technical ones) are meant to be a reflection of your personality and the person conducting the interview is just trying to see if you would be a good fit. A lot of people can do the technical works, pass exams, etc. That pool is lessened when you bring personality into the mix.

Here are some questions I remember from a phone interview.

1. Tell me about yourself.

2. Why do you like about (current job in resume)

3. What are your short and long term goals?

4. How would you fit in (insert city you wish to relocate)

5. How many times did you take this exam?

6. How are you doing in your study for the exams?

Question First Phone Interview

This thread provides useful information on face-to-face interviews but what should I expect (in general) during an initial call?

I am preparing for my first phone interview in a few days. I am excited but very nervous. I have reviewed the job description, company website, and some Excel formulas. What else can I do to prepare?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    This thread provides useful information on face-to-face interviews but what should I expect (in general) during an initial call?

I am preparing for my first phone interview in a few days. I am excited but very nervous. I have reviewed the job description, company website, and some Excel formulas. What else can I do to prepare?

Thanks in advance!
    Keep practicing sample questions with a friend or relative. I choked on one question, but just stay calm. He asked,

"What do you do in your free time when you are not working or studying for your exams?"

I didn't know if this was a trick question or not. Does anyone know how to properly answer this? I would assume some "bad" answers would be: playing video games, watching TV, etc.

Any insight would really help.

For the guys, here's a hint when you have a face-to-face interview: when you shake hands with someone, give a solid, firm handshake. You don't have to squeeze my hand off with some Herculean grip, but for me [and a lot of people I know] nothing screams "I have no confidence and almost certainly need to be told how to do everything" than shaking a guy's hand and feeling like I'm squeezing a wet newspaper.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information