Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview Experiences - Funny, Good or Bad

Arrow Interview Experiences - Funny, Good or Bad

Please post your real word interview experiences...good, bad, humorous, disastrous, whatever.
    Last edited by admin; November 3rd 2005 at 03:22 PM.
    Actuary.com - www.actuary.com
    Email - actuary@actuary.com

The bad....part 1

I've got a few - let's start with a bad one.

One place I interviewed with offered to fly me in - which would have been nice except that I didn't get an itinerary for the trip until 10:45am the morning I was supposed to leave (my flight was supposed to leave at 5pm, meaning I needed to leave my house by 2:30pm). The company maintained they had e-mailed me the itinerary (which never showed up in my inbox despite them supposedly having sent it 4 times), and refused to fax me a copy until I asked for the e-mail of the person I was talking to so I could write him and he could respond back with the itinerary.

I was also supposed to have vouchers to pay for the taxi from the airport to the hotel and back (which I never got), was supposed to be reimbursed for said taxi rides (which never happened), and during the interviews I was asked who I was interviewing with next - when I explained that I had no idea because I didn't have a copy of my schedule for the day, the common response was, "Hmm.....I didn't get one either" - which might explain why I was waiting on three of the people I interviewed with to show up and why my interviews went almost an hour over.

Once I finally got the notice that I wasn't being hired eight weeks later (four weeks past when we were supposed to be notified), I called the new hire contact with the company to get feedback. I never did get so much as a "leave us alone" after five calls and four e-mails across more than two months. Then again, considering it took seven months from the time I first saw them at a college career fair (which is where they admitted they got my resume) for them to call me, and they set up two phone screens with me and didn't call before finally calling almost 15 minutes late the 3rd time, in addition to everything described above, I didn't lose sleep over them saying "no".

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Usually you'll hear the advice to take your time in answering questions and to not blurt out the first thing that comes into your head. I've taken that to heart and usually preface a few questions here and there with, "let me think about that for a minute". I tried this once with an interviewer and after that they kept accusing me throughout the rest of the interview, "you always have to have the right answer, don't you?"

I also got stiffed on a cab ride.

An interviewer asked me how I was doing, and I joked, "Fine, except for the fact that I'm interviewing." He got offended and there was awkward silence for a moment.

Talking casual interview

My first interview was an extremely casual one. Three actuaries worked at a house/office, which is where I was interviewed. Two actuaries interviewed me. My major mistake was that I forgot that I was being interviewed, and didn't do a good job of selling myself. They hinted that I probabily won't be hired, listed some other companies that may be hiring, and I used the rest of my time learning about the diversity within the actuarial career, which only excited me more to get into it.

It was a good interview because it was very educational, and definately worth the experience. I never heard from them again. Just as well though, because I don't think I'd work well in a casual environment.

Actuary.com - Level II Poster

City Interview

Interviews with larger firms may go like mine.

I interviewed with 5 different actuaries in the company, from a 2nd year analyst to the 'boss'. In between an entry level guy took me out to lunch.

The main thing in these interviews is not to be too relaxed or too uptight. PREPARE for all the interview questions they might ask, and start thinking about past experiences from every angle.

Don't give one word answers, but don't drone on and on about something. Look your absolute best, and for the love of god stay positive. Don't say anything negative about anything or anyone, even if you hated that 2nd year calc teacher. Smile, and stay in good spirits no matter how badly it is going.

And ALWAYS send thank you letters to everyone you interviewed with.

I went in for an interview for an internship. It was my first 'real' interview -- bought a suit for it, read for three days about the company, tried to drum up all my experiences and think about the different ways I could present them when they asked me the questions.

I psyched myself out pretty bad. The man interviewing me, let's say his name was Thomas Conrad (it wasn't). I practiced saying to myself the entire train-ride to the interview, "Good morning, Mr. Conrad. Good morning, Mr. Conrad."

Walk in, extend hand, "Hi, Tommy!" ... Open mouth, insert foot. His face said everything I needed to know, and after that I just tried to ask everyone who interviewed me as much as I could about the profession.

Speaking of open mouth, insert foot

At a recent interview, the person interviewing me was telling me that if they offered me the job, they needed a drug pre-employment screening. So I said jokingly: "It's a good thing I told my husband not to feed me any poppy seeds any time soon!" My potential future boss looked at me and replied back jokingly something like "yea right, poppy seeds..."
    I still got a job offer after that, and when my drug tests and background check came back and he called me to say everything came back fine so I had the job, he said "so, now you can go back to eating those poppy seeds".... Oh that was embarassing....
    Still, talking about not eating poppy seeds when they mention you they'll run a drug screening is probably not a great idea!

Actuary.com - Level V Poster djerry81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aleburns View Post
    At a recent interview, the person interviewing me was telling me that if they offered me the job, they needed a drug pre-employment screening. So I said jokingly: "It's a good thing I told my husband not to feed me any poppy seeds any time soon!" My potential future boss looked at me and replied back jokingly something like "yea right, poppy seeds..."
    I still got a job offer after that, and when my drug tests and background check came back and he called me to say everything came back fine so I had the job, he said "so, now you can go back to eating those poppy seeds".... Oh that was embarassing....
    Still, talking about not eating poppy seeds when they mention you they'll run a drug screening is probably not a great idea!
    it was probably not a good idea but some employers like a sense of humor....I remember when I was interviewing for a job with Hartford Life, non-actuarial,I had had some experience working for as a computer tech and I was asked what would your last employer say about my past performance......I stated they would say i am not a boxologist, which is a joke we made about computer techs that only know how to take computers out of boxes and nothing else.....well after about 2 minutes of laughing they were in love.....well i got hired

Last edited by Aaron W; January 31st 2007 at 08:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information