Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA
Pryor Associates
Actuarial Openings: Life, P&C, Health, Pensions, Finance
Actuarial Careers, Inc. ®
Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions: Geographic Region, Specialization, Salary

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Interview Experiences - Funny, Good or Bad

I'm going to throw this one out only because I know the person who was interviewed and the company involved, and it confirms my own experience about the subject company [whose name will not be mentioned here].

I know someone who is an FCAS [we'll conveniently call this person "FCAS"] that interviewed at Company X for a position that specifically asked for ACAS or higher; this person already has a solid job at another company, but is willing to take a job with less responsibility to move closer to their spouse who has a job in a different location. After a phone interview, a review of the resume by Company X and questions from FCAS to the company about the job position and what they're looking for, Company X asks FCAS to come interview in person, to which FCAS accepts - and they work out a mutually acceptable date and time so that FCAS can take a vacation day to do the interview.

FCAS drives almost 3 hours to the location of the interview, has to wait 45 minutes for the person responsible to show up, then has to wait another 35 minutes for the person to get paperwork together for the interview - no apology offered, no "can we get you something to drink/eat?", .... nothing. FCAS just sits there, waiting to be told what is going on. FCAS is then is brought into the room where the interview is supposed to take place - at which point, the person representing Company X says "just so you know, we're not going to hire you because you're an FCAS and we really want someone that's not credentialed - but we still want to interview you, if that's OK."

Unsurprisingly [to me at least, given my past experience with Company X], Company X was shocked that FCAS was not OK with it. Also unsurprisingly, Company X declared that they would not reimburse FCAS for any costs incurred related to that interview - whether FCAS went ahead with it or not. [Note to everyone: if you're going for an in-person interview, the company involved should be paying for your expenses to/from the interview - even if it's just mileage and a swing through McDonald's. Generally, they take care of this on their end - if it's a short trip, they may have you send in receipts and get reimbursed. If they don't offer this or act put out that you would ask, and you're driving more than an hour and change one-way for the interview, ... it's probably not a place you want to work.]
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    ''', can you message me what Company X is?

Not a chance. I will simply state that it is an insurance company in the U.S. that has exposure to at least P&C and life.
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    Not an actuarial interview but one interviewer started the interview by noting that he mostly called me in because he was so surprised at just how little experience I had coming out of college. I didn't not get the job.

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    I just had my first actuarial interview, for an internship. I've worked in a non-actuarial capacity for the same company for 9 years, but it's the first interview I've had in probably 6-7 years. It turned out to be a really great experience. The people were all ridiculously nice, to the point where I felt like someone was playing a prank on me for the first few minutes. I'm so used to my normal working experience where everyone hates to come to work every day. I interviewed with an HR person and then a VP in the life insurance division. The company is a relatively small one for an insurance company, but still much bigger than the company I work for now. The VP was incredibly nice and helpful, he answered tons of questions I had about being an actuary. I felt a little pressured at first because he kept looking at his clock, until I realized he was actually just trying to keep to the time I was scheduled to be there, not trying to rush me. Once I started asking questions we talked well over the allotted time and he couldn't have been nicer.

I know this isn't as exciting as some of your funny and/or terrible stories, but I thought I should share a good one. Honestly, I was a little freaked before the interview because I expected an experience like one of these crazy ones.

Banned
    Below I have listed a number of bad questions (B) and followed each with the fix (G). You should see a pattern very quickly.

(B) Tell me about overcoming objections.
    (G) How did you overcome the biggest objection in the ABC sale?

(B) Have you ever created a budget?
    (G) Step me through the last budget you created.

(B) Do you use a system to manage your time?
    (G) How did you plan your schedule today?

(B) What was the last book you read?
    (G) What have you read in the last year to keep your skills current?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information