Actuarial Discussion Forum

Actuarial Jobs from Actuary.com    Submit Your Actuarial Resume Anonymously
Actuarial Blog - Actuarial Employment Articles, Help, Jobs and News
Other Insurance Jobs    Other Financial Jobs    Other Health Jobs    Other IT Jobs    Other Jobs, Careers and Employment    Actuarial News
Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Courses - Online    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Materials    Directory of Actuarial Exam Study Seminars - Live
Directory of Actuarial Recruiters    Directory of Actuarial Schools    Actuarial Grads Network    Actuary.com 

D.W. Simpson & Co, Inc. - Worldwide Actuarial Jobs
Life Jobs 
Health Jobs Pension Jobs Casualty Jobs Salary Apply
Pauline Reimer, ASA, MAAA - Pryor Associates
Nat'l/Int'l Actuarial Openings: Life P&C Health Pensions Finance
ACTEX Publications and MadRiver Books
Serving students worldwide for over 40 years
Advertise Here - Reach Actuarial Professionals
Advertising Information
Actuarial Careers, Inc. - Actuarial Jobs Worldwide
Search positions by geographic region, specialization, or salary
Ezra Penland Actuarial Recruiters - Top Actuarial Jobs
Salary Surveys  Apply Online   Bios   Casualty   Health   Life   Pension

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you fit the stereotype?

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster

Do you fit the stereotype?

I was just wondering if you guys and girls fit the "actuary" stereotype? Are you introverted or extoverted? Would you rather go out to a party or stay in and read a book? Do you look like a nerd?

I don't fit any of the actuary stereotypes. I was just wondering if you guys/girls fit the sterotype or not. :laugh:

Actuary.com - Level IV Poster dmbfan41's Avatar
    i personally don't think i do. some of the people i work with do, some don't.

i'd say i'm more extroverted than introverted, and i definitly like to go out more than i like to stay in. but that doesn't mean i won't stay in, especially if i have to study.

what's more important is whether or not you enjoy the job and can pass exams, not whether you fit the stereotypes. staying in and being an introvert won't guarantee you will pass exams.
    "i find it hard
    to explain
    how i got here"

Actuary.com - Level II Poster
    I haven't actually become an actuary yet, so my response shouldn't matter as much as someone who already is one. But I'm an engineer right now, so I'm already in a profession where people are normally assumed to be introverted and for which jokes about social ineptitude are common.

Anyway, I was very introverted in high school. In college, I became more extroverted, and then during my six years in the Navy, I became much more fearless of people, at least in comparison to how I had always been. Now, I feel like I'm halfway between introvert and extrovert. Usually at work, I like to be introverted, but I can get bored with no interaction. Outside of work, I enjoy socializing a lot. I still like time alone, but I always look forward to the next social event.

Some people probably believe I am extremely shy. Other people probably believe I am extremely outgoing and one of the least inhibited people they've met.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    You will find that the new generation of actuaries is more extroverted than the older ones. The "old school" actuaries came from programs such as math and other sciences. A good number of them came into actuarial after becoming a PhD and either not finding a job or maybe not what they expected. Currently there are more and more actuarial science programs at big universities (wisconsin, illinois, etc.) that put out actuaries that are more diverse. At those schools (and programs), there are events set up that attract people that are more extroverted, such as bar crawls, etc.

I agree with everyone else in that regardless of whether or not an individual fits into the stereotypical image of an actuary, this is not indicative of success or lack thereof. However, with the increasing interest in the actuarial profession and the efforts of the SOA, this image is forever changing. I think the intention Vegasgirl was just to strike up a fun conversation, rather than talking about the exams 24-7.

Sad to say, I fit the stereotypical image of an actuary pretty well. I study for exams constantly, both while on vacations (including a Hawaii cruise) and in the bathroom at home. However, there are things that are not apparent that definitely do not fit the old actuary image. I hold leadership positions and am involved in community service. I am a dancer - although not as good as I would like to be, just another sacrifice. To some, I am very quiet and conservative. To my closest friends, I am open in terms of having a good time. It all depends on the situation. Unfortunately, with the exams, I can't afford (both in monetary terms and in # of brain cells I can spare) to go out to drink. But I believe that all these sacrifices will be worth it in the end. I think that a lot of my traits come from by upbringing (rather than my choice in career) which wasn't exactly ideal nor was it typical. Anyways, this is a good question.

I also agree. I am extremely extroverted. I graduate in December, and my college life has been nothing short of the greatest time ever, and fancy myself one of the best drinkers around (southern college football town).

You don't have to be a nerd to be good with numbers...while I am very new...my internship has taught me that if you work hard at times, you can play hard at times...but I read this somewhere....

What's the difference between and introverted actuary and an extroverted actuary?

An introverted actuary stares at his own feet while talking to you, while an extroverted actuary stares at yours.
    "Haikus are easy.
    But sometimes they don't make sense.
    Refrigerator."

-------------
    Last edited by B411et; March 21st 2009 at 01:02 PM.

Actuary.com - Posting Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca3083814 View Post
    Wish my internship was fun. It's all work for ''''py pay. There's no fun events and I'm teaching myself everything. On top of all that, no one talks to me except for work-related stuff or in attempt to convince me to return next year, which is getting slimmer by the day.

By the way, I really like your answer to the question you posed involving introverted vs extroverted actuaries. It's so funny...yet probably true for some actuaries.
    Yeah that sounds pretty bad. Internships are for both parties. The company wants to see what kind of worker / person you are. They want to make sure that you can handle the job and the exams but also that you will fit into the company and not just the actuarial department since most likely you will interact with the accounting/finance/etc. departments. But you also want to make sure that your bosses don't have unreasonable demands as they will only get "worse" when you become full time since more will be expected of you.

Also, that question is an ooooooooooooooold joke, check this page out:
    [url]http://users.aol.com/fcas/jokes.html:laugh:[/url]

haha yea...I got it off of

actuarialjokes.com

Huge list
    "Haikus are easy.
    But sometimes they don't make sense.
    Refrigerator."

Actuary.com - Newbie Poster
    Good to see that there are some extroverted actuaries.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information