PDA

View Full Version : BA-35: Phased Out?

roy14
November 23rd 2005, 03:57 AM
It's kinda weird because I can't find the BA-35 available either in ACTEX catalog or in Actuarial Bookstore? Will it not be the SOA official calculator anymore? Will this issue be cleared out in the new SOA Spring 2006 catalog?

Harold Cherry
November 23rd 2005, 12:18 PM
It's kinda weird because I can't find the BA-35 available either in ACTEX catalog or in Actuarial Bookstore? Will it not be the SOA official calculator anymore? Will this issue be cleared out in the new SOA Spring 2006 catalog?

My information is that the manufacturer has discontinued making the BA-35 Solar, but is still making the BA-II and Professional. All of these calculators are still on the approved list. So if you can find a BA-35 (some stores or on-line vendors may have a supply left), you can use it for the exams.

roy14
November 24th 2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks, Mr. Cherry.
What do you think about that FM examinees?
Would you prefer BA II Plus over BA-35?
Can you point out their major differences?

Harold Cherry
November 24th 2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks, Mr. Cherry.
What do you think about that FM examinees?
Would you prefer BA II Plus over BA-35?
Can you point out their major differences?

Here is an excerpt from the Introduction of my Exam FM/2 manual, published by ASM:

"The BA-35, BA-II Plus, and BAII Plus Professional have financial functions that are essential for this exam. Which one should you use? Any of them will serve you well for the exam. There is no question that the BA II Plus and BA II Plus Professional have functions that the BA-35 does not. (They can solve for the interest rate when the payments are irregular; they have superior memory features; etc.) They are also faster for certain kinds of calculations. The trade-off is that you will have to spend somehat more time learning how to use them. (The Study Note on using the BA-35 is 16 pages long; the Study Note for the BA II Plus is 31 pages long.)

"If you do a search on [the two actuarial discussion forums], you can find discussions by students comparing the calculators. Some students feel that the extra time learning how to use the more advanced calculators is well worth it. Others feel that the BA-35 will solve any problem that is likely to appear on this exam (which I would agree with)."

PatrickP
November 25th 2005, 06:44 PM
i have both calculators and i would suggest Ba-35 because it is more easy to use but would also suggest Ba 2 plus because you can store cash flow and calculate a IRR easily.

Karen
November 25th 2005, 07:56 PM
I used just the BA-35. I found it easy to learn and easy to use.

bv12
November 28th 2005, 12:09 PM
I used the TI-30XIIB calculator as well as the BAII Plus. I think you are well advised to also bring one of the TI-30X calculators because the financial calculators are single entry calcs and you need to use a lot of paranthesis where the TI-30X calcs allow you to enter a string of functions and then solve. I find this much easier and quicker to use. Everyone seems to say that the BA-35 is easier to learn than the BAII Plus. I would just say that whichever you use, make sure you learn to use it efficiently. I didn't find the BAII Plus all that difficult. I only started using it the week before the exam and found it quite useful on the exam although I am sure I could have used it more if I had spent more time learning its functions.

skrinsk
November 28th 2005, 06:37 PM
I used the TI-30XIIB calculator as well as the BAII Plus.

I agree. The BA II can be used to solve for general annuities for both annuity immediate an due, can calculate cash flows for bonds, etc.. The TI-30X can be used for all other calculations. It is easier to use for order of operations, and -- the biggest plus -- it allows you to SEE what you typed in and to go back to previous calculations. (I think it stores 4-5 previous entries). They both are useful, and I ended up using both on exam FM.