PDA

View Full Version : max number of exams before first job

greeneggs
November 14th 2008, 11:56 PM
Is there a maximum number of exams I should have before my first job? I heard from somewhere that anymore than 3 was bad? Thanks.

NoMoreExams
November 15th 2008, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't say there's a maximum as long as you are willing to take a lower starting pay. Let's say a person with 2 exams would make 50 and a person with an ASA and a couple years of experience is making 90, if you have no experience but have an ASA, I wouldn't expect to make over 60 starting.

mkmark0
November 15th 2008, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't say there's a maximum as long as you are willing to take a lower starting pay. Let's say a person with 2 exams would make 50 and a person with an ASA and a couple years of experience is making 90, if you have no experience but have an ASA, I wouldn't expect to make over 60 starting.

I'm curious as to how the pay raises would work if this occurs. Assuming someone is an ASA with 0 experience, takes an entry level job, when his/her experience gradually builds up, would they be getting huge increases yearly in salary?

NoMoreExams
November 15th 2008, 04:46 PM
I'm curious as to how the pay raises would work if this occurs. Assuming someone is an ASA with 0 experience, takes an entry level job, when his/her experience gradually builds up, would they be getting huge increases yearly in salary?

Assuming their work represents that of an ASA, probably so. IIRC the whole point to getting your ASA is so that you can sign off on things, however although having your ASA is a requirement for that, it's not the end. You need to be a part of MAAA and that used to require some years of work experience as well (3 I believe?).

its_me
November 15th 2008, 10:34 PM
Is there a maximum number of exams I should have before my first job? I heard from somewhere that anymore than 3 was bad? Thanks.

I have all the prelim exams except MLC, and am unable to land myself a job.
Just saying.

NoMoreExams
November 15th 2008, 10:47 PM
I have all the prelim exams except MLC, and am unable to land myself a job.
Just saying.

Exams will land you an interview at best, knowing how to interview is a separate skillset.

its_me
November 15th 2008, 10:52 PM
Exams will land you an interview at best, knowing how to interview is a separate skillset.

Trust me, I have that skillset. I am unable to land myself an interview. There aren't any jobs out there (esp around Philly) and all my coldcalls have led to a "hiring freeze" answer.

NoMoreExams
November 15th 2008, 11:16 PM
Trust me, I have that skillset. I am unable to land myself an interview. There aren't any jobs out there (esp around Philly) and all my coldcalls have led to a "hiring freeze" answer.

I'm not arguing that the market is worse now but are completely open to relocating? Do you have internships? Are you that sure you interview well?

its_me
November 16th 2008, 09:25 AM
I dont have internships. I have a Masters in Stats , and a career changer with 3 years of IT experience. I do interview well. I am not open to relocation bcos i have 2 kids going to school, and am not comfortable uprooting it for an entry-level job.So,i am just looking at a 60-mile radius as of now.

JMO Fan
November 17th 2008, 11:15 AM
I dont have internships. I have a Masters in Stats , and a career changer with 3 years of IT experience. I do interview well. I am not open to relocation bcos i have 2 kids going to school, and am not comfortable uprooting it for an entry-level job.So,i am just looking at a 60-mile radius as of now.
Sometimes moving is better for the family, even with kids in school. Some stat surveys say students actually improve by moving mid-year. We've had that experience with a couple of our kids. :smiloe: