PDA

View Full Version : length of interviews

eliseo1230
November 30th 2005, 12:30 AM
i was wondering how long a typical interview lasts for an entry level actuarial position. i am scheduled for an interview in mid-december and i was told that it would start at 8am and go until 1:30 pm. this is 5 and a half hours long! is this normal?

Ken
November 30th 2005, 12:32 AM
They better be buying you lunch.

faramir
November 30th 2005, 07:16 AM
i was wondering how long a typical interview lasts for an entry level actuarial position. i am scheduled for an interview in mid-december and i was told that it would start at 8am and go until 1:30 pm. this is 5 and a half hours long! is this normal?

It sounds average. You will most likely be interviewing with 3-5 people in that time period as well as having lunch and possibly some skills test (computer skills test possibly). Did they give you any indication as to how the day would proceed?

Since I am still in my first actuarial job my sample size is small on the number of interviews I've been on, but when I was first interviewing all lasted at least half the day (4hrs+).

Trojan_Horse
November 30th 2005, 09:42 AM
That's normal and yes, they will most likely buy you lunch. Remember though, lunch is still part of the interview. It's a more relaxed setting but they are still considering if you'll fit in - it's the social part of the interview.

You'll meet with several different people - your potential boss, coworkers, etc. Good luck.

eliseo1230
November 30th 2005, 11:29 AM
thanks for the info. i have not received a schedule of any sort, just that i will be meeting at a certain time and place, but it does seem that my HR person is very good and i am hopeful that it all goes well. if there is any other advice you can offer i will be greatful.

Irish Blues
November 30th 2005, 11:32 AM
thanks for the info. i have not received a schedule of any sort, just that i will be meeting at a certain time and place, but it does seem that my HR person is very good and i am hopeful that it all goes well. if there is any other advice you can offer i will be greatful.
Make sure they get you a schedule - even if it's not until the day of the interview. That way you at least know the names of the people you'll be interviewing with and can write thank-you letters back after the interview.

Also ... make sure to show up early and look like you were prepared. You want to make a good impression right off the start.