PDA

View Full Version : Derivatives Markets 2nd Edition?

TaiwanGuy
December 7th 2008, 08:54 PM
after taking and failing exam mfe in 2007, i got distracted with an un-actuary related job (data mining). i messed around with that for a while and have now decided to continue on with actuary exams.

i have the 1st edition of derivatives markets from my first go of the exam, but noticed that the syllabus has now been updated to the 2nd edition (i dont know when that happened, i havent looked at this stuff for a while).

my question is: is there a substantial difference between the two editions? should i be able to work my way through all of the required material using the 1st edition or is there enough new stuff in the 2nd edition to justify a purchase? fyi, i am not planning on using a study guide (i made it through P and FM without one).

yorklee44
December 8th 2008, 02:07 AM
The later exams get more difficult, so your methods of studying for earlier exams may not work for the later exams. I would strongly suggest using a study manual rather than rely on the textbook for MFE. Even the 2nd Edition of Derivatives Market has a bunch of errors that make it confusing. Also, textbooks tend to cover way more material than is really needed for the exams. Study manuals focus on topics that are tested on and are a better source than textbooks. But hey, that's just my opinion. I haven't really heard anyone else passing exams based on just textbooks anymore.

TaiwanGuy
December 8th 2008, 07:46 PM
The later exams get more difficult, so your methods of studying for earlier exams may not work for the later exams. I would strongly suggest using a study manual rather than rely on the textbook for MFE. Even the 2nd Edition of Derivatives Market has a bunch of errors that make it confusing. Also, textbooks tend to cover way more material than is really needed for the exams. Study manuals focus on topics that are tested on and are a better source than textbooks. But hey, that's just my opinion. I haven't really heard anyone else passing exams based on just textbooks anymore.

hmmmm...so whats the best guide? actex, asm, or something else? i dont know anything about the study guides.