PDA

View Full Version : Hey, guys, I passed. How about you guys?

WayToProspective
January 2nd 2009, 01:01 PM
i woke up at 12:30 this morning, and the first thing that came to my mind was to turn on my laptop and check whether my number was there. Haha.....it turned out my name was there. Now, i can have another thing to put on my resume, and i hope it would help me find a job much easier. How about u guys? hope ur names are there too. congratulation to all of those ppl, of course including myself, who luckily have their numbers on the passing list.

Akki
January 2nd 2009, 01:19 PM
i woke up at 12:30 this morning, and the first thing that came to my mind was to turn on my laptop and check whether my number was there. Haha.....it turned out my name was there. Now, i can have another thing to put on my resume, and i hope it would help me find a job much easier. How about u guys? hope ur names are there too. congratulation to all of those ppl, of course including myself, who luckily have their numbers on the passing list.

Congrats! WayToProspective. I also passed but I am wondering how did you get your name in the list. :wink:
Just joking, enjoy the taste of success.

WayToProspective
January 2nd 2009, 01:24 PM
Congrats! WayToProspective. I also passed but I am wondering how did you get your name in the list. :wink:
Just joking, enjoy the taste of success.

Haha, that was a typo. when I was typing that message, i was half asleep, hehe. Congratulation to you too, Akki.

feste22
January 2nd 2009, 01:25 PM
I made it too. Thanks to everyone on the board who helped answer questions... and especially, thanks to Dr. Weishaus. It took me three tries, and three different study manuals, but the ASM manual got me through it.

chicken_po_boy
January 2nd 2009, 01:30 PM
I passed too. See some of you on the 3L board!

Bolyai
January 2nd 2009, 05:15 PM
Passed MLC and MFE this sitting. Woo hoo!

skyt
January 2nd 2009, 08:31 PM
congrats guys, must feel good :)

houci
January 20th 2009, 05:17 AM
I passed too. Congrat....

B411et
January 21st 2009, 10:40 PM
Passed MLC and MFE this sitting. Woo hoo!

Congrats! Do you feel this is doable for a full-time college student? Did you use ASM for both exams?

feste22
January 22nd 2009, 10:00 PM
Congrats! Do you feel this is doable for a full-time college student? Did you use ASM for both exams?

I tried both, and failed miserably, but my brain is pretty tiny... so you may not want to take my word for it.

Seriously, though. MFE is very math heavy. A strong grip on stochastic calculus and differential equations (which I admittedly don't have) will make it easier. MLC is not as difficult, but there is TONS of material. 54 lessons in ASM, (compared to what... 17 for MFE? I don't remember.)

So if you have a lot of free time to put into MLC, and a strong math background for MFE, you might be able to pull it off... but if not, I'd recommend going one at a time, especially if you don't have employers breathing down your neck to pass "1" exam a year...

Bolyai
January 22nd 2009, 11:09 PM

Two exams in one sitting is tough. It's a lot of work, but do-able. If you're a full-time student without a lot of other obligations, it's probably do-able you just have to buckle down and learn the material. But I can't emphasize enough how much work is involved, at least for me, as both exams were mostly new material. I was familiar with the lognormal distribution and options strategies before studying for these exams, but that's the limit of my prior exposure to the subjects.

Regarding your student status, I'm a career changer with a 40+ hour a week full-time job, and so I have no study hours. So you should have more free time than I did. Near the end I was working problems in the morning before work, at lunch, and in the evenings. I even worked problems when I was stuck in meetings. I work in a quantitative profession, so the people in the meeting just thought I was multi-tasking.

B411et
January 22nd 2009, 11:12 PM
I tried both, and failed miserably, but my brain is pretty tiny... so you may not want to take my word for it.

Seriously, though. MFE is very math heavy. A strong grip on stochastic calculus and differential equations (which I admittedly don't have) will make it easier. MLC is not as difficult, but there is TONS of material. 54 lessons in ASM, (compared to what... 17 for MFE? I don't remember.)

So if you have a lot of free time to put into MLC, and a strong math background for MFE, you might be able to pull it off... but if not, I'd recommend going one at a time, especially if you don't have employers breathing down your neck to pass "1" exam a year...

Thanks for your feedback feste22. I was 2 questions away from passing MFE. The ASM material seems much clearer after reading it a second time.

Yes, I do have a lot of time. I only want to be done with MFE, but want to "experience" MLC as well. Gosh...I would hate to be working for an employer that pressures you to pass one exam/year. Although then again, I work best under pressure.

Bolyai
January 23rd 2009, 07:47 AM
Something to consider - MLC seems pretty straightforward to prepare for, as there are lots of published exam questions, especially compared to MFE. But I found that MFE was a much more straightforward exam than MLC. Be prepared for convoluted, long, and poorly worded questions on MLC. And expect the actual exam questions to be a bit harder than the official SOA 280+ sample questions.

binky_4me
January 27th 2009, 10:52 AM
i got a stinkin' 5... lol... but i'm using bpp this time around. i used actex the 1st time, and actually that's all i've ever used so i'm kinda excited to try something different. i felt really good about all the material, i just got stumped on a few questions. so i definitely need to see more, different, and harder questions.

feste22
January 28th 2009, 01:38 PM
Gosh...I would hate to be working for an employer that pressures you to pass one exam/year.

Full disclosure: My employers are actually quite reasonable on this issue. I've just heard horror stories on the board about other places. It's particularly bad if they only consider MFE a "half" and exam... meaning you'd better pass each half in one sitting.