PDA

View Full Version : Question, kindly help :)

cyenwong
December 5th 2005, 11:34 AM
Hi all, the first thread I post.

I am also a high school student, I am facing problem choosing a suitable University. From what I heard, Nebraska-Lincoln, Wisconsin-Madison arent bad, is that true?

I hope you all can comment on this matter, or these 2 schools; and you are welcome to share your experiences. I would certainly need your advice :)

Irish Blues
December 5th 2005, 05:56 PM
Hi all, the first thread I post.

I am also a high school student, I am facing problem choosing a suitable University. From what I heard, Nebraska-Lincoln, Wisconsin-Madison arent bad, is that true?

I hope you all can comment on this matter, or these 2 schools; and you are welcome to share your experiences. I would certainly need your advice :)
Go to the forum here for college students and look the threads over there - that should give you some help on choosing a college for actuarial science (which is what I'm assuming you were asking about). If you're asking about party schools, UW-Madison is *way* up on that list.

cyenwong
December 5th 2005, 11:07 PM
I have seen those thread. But ok, I will try to look for more if I left some. How about U of Nebraska Lincoln?

Ken
December 6th 2005, 02:23 AM
Are you specifically looking for schools that are surrounded by corn fields or will you consider other schools?

cyenwong
December 6th 2005, 02:39 AM
Oops, dont really get you. Do you have any advice or comment, I really would like to hear :)

Ken
December 6th 2005, 03:00 AM
What areas are you considering? Primarily mid-west or are you also considering west coast, east coast, or maybe even Canada?

brianritchie
December 6th 2005, 04:57 AM
Yup, as Ken says, what are your actual criterias when you are choosing a university ?

cyenwong
December 7th 2005, 12:30 AM
Erm, mostly I am considering Mid-West (western part might as well); just not the eastern part. Oh, and not Canada for me.
Criteria, erm, for me, I hope to choose a good U. But you know that "good" to everyone is just different. So that's why I am hear, hoping to hear your advices, experiences. Maybe, U that offer 4 or more papers during studies might be good.
Another question, is U that offer exemption for VEE good?

Ken
December 7th 2005, 01:03 AM
I don't want to offend you, but regardless of where you go, I recommend you take a couple English courses. Exams or papers are offered every six months or more frequently if you are taking the first one. This is from the SOA and not from your university so you can take them even if you don't go to college. No one is exempt from VEE. You take classes that satisfy it in college. It would be helpful if you take these classes while you are in college.

seeksuncertainty
December 7th 2005, 05:22 AM
The Univ of Nebraska has a great actuarial science program. The Director of the program is a great professor, really cares about his students. The actuarial science club meets about once a month and is a good way to meet other students in your major as well as learn about the career. The classes offered are really geared towards passing the first two exams.

Trojan_Horse
December 7th 2005, 07:35 AM
Work on your vocabulary and grammar or you won't get a job doing much of anything. You probably will be offended by this but hopefully you'll take it to heart. I read too many poorly written posts from people complaining that they can't find a job. The fact is, if you cannot communicate well, you will not even be considered for a position.

cyenwong
December 8th 2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the advices, and how about U of Wis-Mad?

brianritchie
December 12th 2005, 02:05 AM
I heard Wis-Mad has a pretty good Actuarial program. Its a school you might want to look into. But don't quote me on that though because its what I hard from a few friends there.

krzysio
December 14th 2005, 08:15 PM
Erm, mostly I am considering Mid-West (western part might as well); just not the eastern part. Oh, and not Canada for me.
Criteria, erm, for me, I hope to choose a good U. But you know that "good" to everyone is just different. So that's why I am hear, hoping to hear your advices, experiences. Maybe, U that offer 4 or more papers during studies might be good. Another question, is U that offer exemption for VEE good?

Your location mattes a lot. If you go to a state university, it makes sense to go to one in your own state, you save a bundle on tuition. So ... what state are you located in?

Yours,
Krzys' Ostaszewski
(I am the Actuarial Program Director at Illinois State University, so if you are in Illinois, come to Illinois State)

cyenwong
December 14th 2005, 09:29 PM
ha, I am actually an international student :p
and, I just want to hear some advice, I'd like to hear from ppl, their experiences, and etc.
Cause knowing more is better for me :)