PDA

View Full Version : Math PhD: am I too old/overqualified?

Tetrabit
December 6th 2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm almost done with a PhD in pure math and am contemplating an actuarial career. From all the sources I've looked at it seems that the usual path is to start a job right after college with 2-3 exams. So I was wondering if I'll look too weird applying for an entry level job at age 27. Another q: will it hurt if I pass too many exams? Elsewhere on this forum people talked about how having too many exams may send the wrong signal to employers, but at my stage I feel like I need them to show I'm serious about it.

Thanks for your input.

FSA
December 6th 2005, 11:08 PM
I am a firm believer that it is a bad idea to pass more than 4 exams with no work experience.

Your path isn't that odd, there are lots of career changers. You're going to have to answer why, after putting in so much time and effort to get a doctorate, you're abandoning that for entry-level actuarial work which can often be quite tedious.

It is possible to find the "right" answer to that question, though; I recently hired a PhD with only teaching experience, who had 0 exams at the time of hire, and he's working out quite well so far. Our typical hire for entry level, though, is as you say: right out of college with 2-3 exams.

Ken
December 7th 2005, 12:08 AM
I am a firm believer that it is a bad idea to pass more than 4 exams with no work experience.

Not to mention that after the first four exams, your modules/exam costs will be through the roof.

eliseo1230
December 7th 2005, 11:25 AM
i am 29 and am changing careers from teaching to become an actuary. i had a phone interview and am set for a face to face and my age has not come up, but the reason i am changing careers has been asked. 27 to me is very young still and you have a great advantage with the amount of education you have. good luck with everything

FSA
December 7th 2005, 10:16 PM
Not to mention that after the first four exams, your modules/exam costs will be through the roof.

Yeah, I was talking with some of my students about that. We came to the solution that the SOA was trying to limit the supply of ASAs with no work experience.