PDA

View Full Version : Interview Research

bdenyer
December 8th 2005, 07:19 PM
Hello,
I am applying for some summer actuarial internships in the NYC area. I have already done some research on the companies that I am applying to. What kinds of questions, if any, can I expect them to ask me during an interview about the nature of their company? What kinds of things would I be expected to know? Thanks!

SirVLCIV
December 8th 2005, 11:08 PM
This isn't really to help you (I don't know, really), but to ask you which ones you have explored. I'm looking at internships also (although I'll be two years removed from graduation, not one). I've currently got Prudential in Newark and New York Life at the top of my list, but looking for other good ones.

Denny Crane
December 9th 2005, 11:24 AM
There are a lot at this sticky thread plus I just added some: http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-discussion-forum/showthread.php?t=863

bdenyer
December 9th 2005, 07:39 PM
This isn't really to help you (I don't know, really), but to ask you which ones you have explored. I'm looking at internships also (although I'll be two years removed from graduation, not one). I've currently got Prudential in Newark and New York Life at the top of my list, but looking for other good ones.

SirVLCIV - I'm also looking at New York Life and Prudential! What a small world. I'm also looking at CIGNA in Philly/Hartford and a not quite actuarial (but still statistical-related) internship in D.C. for the bureau of economic analysis. The thing about New York Life is that they don't offer subsidized housing, so that's kinda rough--I can't imagine being able to s''''e by in NYC on actuarial summer intern pay. Good luck, though! :)

SirVLCIV
December 9th 2005, 10:49 PM
Oh, I live within commuting (tough commute, but possible) distance. I would live where I do regardless (I commute to Newark for school 5 days a week (NJIT) as is), as I live with my fiancée (god, you have to love these parentheticals, eh?).

I was extremely interested in the Cigna internship, but not sure if it's viable for me. I've also recently heard VERY good things about New York Life's internship program.

My primary worry is that since I'm not one year removed from graduation, that could hurt my prospects, despite the fact I'm advanced in math courses for my sophomore status (low on General Requirements, since I transferred in).

bdenyer
December 10th 2005, 11:15 PM
Oh, I live within commuting (tough commute, but possible) distance. I would live where I do regardless (I commute to Newark for school 5 days a week (NJIT) as is), as I live with my fiancée (god, you have to love these parentheticals, eh?).

I was extremely interested in the Cigna internship, but not sure if it's viable for me. I've also recently heard VERY good things about New York Life's internship program.

My primary worry is that since I'm not one year removed from graduation, that could hurt my prospects, despite the fact I'm advanced in math courses for my sophomore status (low on General Requirements, since I transferred in).

The cool thing about CIGNA is that they offer free housing and also offer to cover "reasonable travel expenses," whatever those are. I think it's great that you're not even that close to graduation and gunning for an internship. Makes me wish I hadn't '''''ed around so much earlier on. ;)

As for NY life, it's definitely near the top of my list as well; I've heard some describe it as "the Harvard of insurance companies", but the lack of subsidized housing is making that look like less of an option for me. Last year, though, they gave job offers to 11 of 14 summer interns, so that's something to consider. All of the places in the city seem to offer excellent social life opportunities to their interns, like broadway shows, company sports, etc., which is great.

SirVLCIV
December 11th 2005, 10:15 AM
Well, my primary problem with Cigna, and the Hartford gig, is I live with my fiancée, and we plan on getting married within the next six months (not a big wedding, just something small) - then again, another reason for not picking up and moving is that we rent from her parents - they bought the condo specifically so we could rent it from them last year (and when they can no longer maintain their own property, we can swap). Very wonderful people, and I look forward to having them as in-laws.

-IF- I did anything outside the NJ/NYC areas, it would have to be a temporary thing, and I would at the very least commute home on the weekends - I really am not enthused with the idea, however.