PDA

View Full Version : Easiest Exam for An Underwriter?

veritasxyz
March 27th 2009, 08:56 AM
I am a casualty reinsurance underwriter (entry level) and I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

Which actuarial exam would be easiest for a non-math major?

FM or P?

Thanks!

Qing
March 27th 2009, 09:47 AM
In my opinion, for a non math major, FM should be easier. FM is about the time value of money, more towards finance rather than math whereas P is all about statistical distributions and requires quite a great deal of statistics knowledge

wilnexpc
July 6th 2009, 07:17 PM
you should definitely go for FM? But it might add little value in terms of understanding Property and Casualty business...

alekhine4149
July 6th 2009, 09:02 PM
I am a casualty reinsurance underwriter (entry level) and I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible.

Which actuarial exam would be easiest for a non-math major?

FM or P?

Thanks!

Easiest may be FM/2. You won't soak up anything at all relevant from it for your job. CAS Exam 5 or 6 would teach you a lot of useful info for knowing what your actuaries are doing behind the scenes on their spreadsheets and databases but they'd be extremely difficult. There is no happy medium - the easiest actuarial exams are almost pointless and practically serve as a barrier to entry for actuarial workers. It may just be impractical for an entry level underwriter to take actuarial exams unless you hope to make the switch - there isn't enough incentive to suffer all that. If you disagree, best of luck!