PDA

View Full Version : Best computer skills to have?

gizmo
March 29th 2005, 02:25 PM
What are the best computer skills for one to have to start in the actuarial field?

wat
March 29th 2005, 02:42 PM
What are the best computer skills for one to have to start in the actuarial field?

Get familiar with Excel and Access. Most insurance companies utilize these programs. If you want to be adventurous, you could try learning VBA Excel/Access - the macro language.

Helenimo
November 25th 2005, 09:32 AM
aCCESS and EXCEL are the most recomended especially learning the tools tabs etc of these two, you can go miles.
well VBA may be also assistful and also lotus though some companies do not realy require lotus but its an advantage to have it.

DaddyO
December 4th 2005, 11:35 PM
What about SAS ? ?

Irish Blues
December 6th 2005, 07:52 AM
What about SAS ? ?
If you know it, great. If you don't, it's not a big deal. Most companies will have a training class in SAS, VBA, or any other software you'll be using. You don't want to walk into the interview saying, "Um...what is Excel?" but you don't have to have a certificate from Microsoft to show you know how to use it, either.

dibakar
January 22nd 2008, 12:41 PM
Hi
Friend
At first you may start with office package with ACCESS and EXCEL, and mostly learn some micro languages. It can be helping you.
:smiloe:

Jessica Chung
October 23rd 2008, 09:05 AM
What's micro and macro language? I know Excel has this function with macros but I never actually knew how to use it.

NoMoreExams
November 9th 2008, 06:23 PM
What's micro and macro language? I know Excel has this function with macros but I never actually knew how to use it.

You should try recording a macro and then looking at the VBA code behind it. One way to learn VBA and it will def. come in handy esp. in your early actuarial career when you are doing repeatable tasks.

NoMoreExams
February 24th 2009, 02:22 AM
Hi friends

I am Joseph from London. In my opinion MS-Excel is the best for Actuary user.

Joseph

Excel is used a lot but you should be familiar with Access and probably SAS for some companies.

rebeavers
July 11th 2009, 09:53 AM
Does anyone have a book to recommend to help with VBA?

NoMoreExams
July 11th 2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=88423

mathelda
January 23rd 2010, 03:11 AM
There are many books but I suggest " Excel Power Programming With Vba" by John Walkenbach. You can search it on net also. I am sure this will be very helpful and informative.

Dabsy
September 6th 2010, 01:20 PM
If you know it, great. If you don't, it's not a big deal. Most companies will have a training class in SAS, VBA, or any other software you'll be using. You don't want to walk into the interview saying, "Um...what is Excel?" but you don't have to have a certificate from Microsoft to show you know how to use it, either.

My brothers/sisters SAS is now a big deal. Many companies can't spend to train workers for SAS any more. I attended Forecasting conference/training last year and spend over $5k just for fees and hotel. As a matter of fact SAS certification can take you farther than you can imagine. visit this site http://support.sas.com/certify/creds/bp.html

I will be attending M2010 conference in vegas this year.