PDA

View Full Version : Score (0-10)?

PhillyP
January 6th 2006, 06:29 PM
Can someone translate the number of questions correct to the 0-10 scores based on a 17/24 being the lowest passing grade (which is what people are saying). I don't know how it works but I am curious to see where my score will fall.

Also when should we expect grades?

.Godspeed.
January 6th 2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know, I remembered this old thread from the summer where someone asked a similar question, where wat demonstrated his greatness again; just found it:

http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-discussion-forum/showthread.php?t=512

I didn't know it was you, though =0 Perhaps it will help.

PhillyP
January 6th 2006, 07:57 PM
Hahaha, thats funny. I dont remember asking but apparently I did. I can figure it out from here then.

I need to take advantage of the search tool as well.
Thanks .Godspeed

wat
January 6th 2006, 07:59 PM
Can someone translate the number of questions correct to the 0-10 scores based on a 17/24 being the lowest passing grade (which is what people are saying). I don't know how it works but I am curious to see where my score will fall.

Also when should we expect grades?

Okay - assuming the raw score necessary to pass is 17:

Score .................. Range
0 ....................... (0, 8.5)
1 ....................... [8.5, 10.2)
2 ....................... [10.2, 11.9)
3 ....................... [11.9, 13.6)
4 ....................... [13.6, 15.3)
5 ....................... [15.3, 17)
6 ....................... [17, 18.7)
7 ....................... [18.7, 20.4)
8 ....................... [20.4, 22.1)
9 ....................... [22.1, 23.8)
10 ....................... [23.8, 24]

Also, grades are mailed the day the internet results are released. Depending on where you are in the world, I'd expect it sometime next week, possibly even tomorrow.

I'm in Hawaii, and mine usually comes the following Wednesday/Thursday.

bv12
January 9th 2006, 02:53 PM
Is there a reason they don't just give us our score on the results sheet? Why is the whole system so mysterious? Why don't they just say, you needed 17/24 to pass, you got 19/24, you were in the top 15%. Everyone knows the system is a little querky and that each sitting will have a different pass score and different percentage passing so why hide it?

bv12
January 9th 2006, 02:58 PM
Do the scores on the exam count for anything other than pride? I mean, do any companies ever ask what scores you got or do they only care which exams you have passed when interviewing?

wat
January 9th 2006, 03:47 PM
Is there a reason they don't just give us our score on the results sheet? Why is the whole system so mysterious? Why don't they just say, you needed 17/24 to pass, you got 19/24, you were in the top 15%. Everyone knows the system is a little querky and that each sitting will have a different pass score and different percentage passing so why hide it?

That's just part of policy.

wat
January 9th 2006, 03:49 PM
Do the scores on the exam count for anything other than pride? I mean, do any companies ever ask what scores you got or do they only care which exams you have passed when interviewing?

I've heard of companies asking the specific score of a passing grade, but those stories are few and far between. I highly doubt it should matter.

When you're with the company, though, you'll probably need to show evidence of your passing to your employer, which will have your grade on the slip.

Ken
January 9th 2006, 05:29 PM
When you're with the company, though, you'll probably need to show evidence of your passing to your employer, which will have your grade on the slip.

You can refer them to the published list of passing candidates on the SOA page.

.Godspeed.
January 9th 2006, 05:44 PM
I've heard of companies asking the specific score of a passing grade, but those stories are few and far between. I highly doubt it should matter.

I have been asked my passing scores in an interview.

wat
January 9th 2006, 06:50 PM
You can refer them to the published list of passing candidates on the SOA page.

Unless there's another Ken or another wat.

Of course, I don't expect "wat" to appear on the list of passing candidates, but that's another issue entirely.

Our company bases reimbursement of taking an exam on your score. You either need to pass the exam, or fail with a grade 3 or higher, plus show that you've put in the study time in order to be reimbursed.

Ken
January 9th 2006, 08:09 PM
Having another Ken pass at the same exam and sitting would be a statistical anomaly.

bv12
January 10th 2006, 01:01 PM
There is a list of passing candidates by name? Where is this? Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering about the scores. I ended up with a higher score than I expected.

wat
January 10th 2006, 01:41 PM
There is a list of passing candidates by name? Where is this? Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering about the scores. I ended up with a higher score than I expected.

It exists, but not until about a week or so until after the Course 5/8 exam results are released.

bv12
January 10th 2006, 04:31 PM
I don't see a list for any past exams though.

wat
January 10th 2006, 04:34 PM
I don't see a list for any past exams though.

Here's the Spring results: http://examresults.soa.org/spring05/spring05-passing-candidates.htm

frazzled
January 10th 2006, 07:06 PM
I received a failing mark of a 2 (probably equivalent to guessing.) I knew the material and checked my answers (or what I thought I put) against the online answer key. Although I didn't remember all of my responses, I couldn't have missed more than 8. Is there any way to have a test regraded? Or at least to know that I skipped a bubble on the answer sheet?

I'm teaching, and it frustrates me to have to wait a few more months before switching careers, especially since I would not want to leave my post in the middle of a school year. Does anyone know of a company that would take a motivated, strong candidate, with no exams (anywhere in US)? or even if only for a paid summer internship (non-college student in NYC)?

I'm taking both FM and P in May.
Thanks!
John

wat
January 10th 2006, 07:23 PM
I received a failing mark of a 2 (probably equivalent to guessing.) I knew the material and checked my answers (or what I thought I put) against the online answer key. Although I didn't remember all of my responses, I couldn't have missed more than 8. Is there any way to have a test regraded? Or at least to know that I skipped a bubble on the answer sheet?

I'm teaching, and it frustrates me to have to wait a few more months before switching careers, especially since I would not want to leave my post in the middle of a school year. Does anyone know of a company that would take a motivated, strong candidate, with no exams (anywhere in US)? or even if only for a paid summer internship (non-college student in NYC)?

I'm taking both FM and P in May.
Thanks!
John

It's possible to get it re-graded, but did you try looking at the exam again and try redoing the steps? I believe this time, they have the solutions posted, in case you want to compare methods.

frazzled
January 10th 2006, 09:37 PM
I called the number on my exam to speak with the omnibudsman. I should get a response tomorrow.

I know what I'm doing on the exam, but I will definitely use the solutions guide for the exam to review for when I retake the exam.
John

frazzled
January 10th 2006, 09:49 PM
In my first message, I meant to say that I knew the FM material, checked the questions online the next day and redid questions that challenged me on the exam, but since the two hours for the test flew by, I could not remember how I responded on each and every question. I felt that I missed at most 8 problems, and one was thrown out. Definitely not as strong as I thought, but I believe this FM test was harder than May's. Still I was very surprised by my grade.

wat
January 10th 2006, 10:11 PM
In my first message, I meant to say that I knew the FM material, checked the questions online the next day and redid questions that challenged me on the exam, but since the two hours for the test flew by, I could not remember how I responded on each and every question. I felt that I missed at most 8 problems, and one was thrown out. Definitely not as strong as I thought, but I believe this FM test was harder than May's. Still I was very surprised by my grade.

Did you happen to re-do the questions you felt confident on? You may have made a few mistakes.

Also, there's a chance that when you'd skipped around, you might've skipped over a blank or two, or mis-filled in the bubbles. There's a number of things that could've happened, but I wish you luck in figuring out what those things are.

bv12
January 11th 2006, 04:13 PM
I started working with no exams and no experience but I don't know if that is possible at a large company. They usually have set student programs, summer internships and plenty of candidates. If you end up having trouble getting a shot at the larger firms I would suggest applying with smaller consulting firms. Of course the openings at such companies are few and far between but they are also more flexible in their hiring standards. Do you have a degree in a mathematics field and what are you teaching?

jakebala
July 26th 2006, 12:53 PM
Although it is too late now, you can apply to have your test re-scored by hand (in case the computer messed up on grading your exam) up to 6 weeks after the exam results came out.

Also, there are lists of candidates who passed the exam, the SOA and CAS usually release the candidate numbers so only those who took can find out if they passed. About a week later they release the actual names that passed. I guess it is because they want the candidates to be the first to know.

The site is as follows.

http://examresults.soa.org

They currently have the names of passing candidates for all the exams from My 2006.