PDA

View Full Version : What does an investment actuary do?

gizmo
March 29th 2005, 02:29 PM
What type of day to day work would an actuary do that works in investments?

Krieger
May 24th 2005, 06:11 PM
What type of day to day work would an actuary do that works in investments?

Nothing. They don't exist.

billern
August 1st 2005, 11:37 PM

Someone told me about a friend who was an investment actuary. The company was using modelling to predict the cost of garunteeing a certain return on the investment basket and then charging investors slightly more for it.

The interesting thing about it (from an investment standpoint) was that stock purchased was sheilded from a lot of tax liabilities.

Is this what you mean by 'work investments', gizmo??

I believe pension funds are similar in this respect. You aren't messing around with individual stocks but are instead looking at investment strategies.

Ken
August 2nd 2005, 11:07 AM

This is not true. Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, and Merrill Lynch, among others, hire actuaries. I wouldn't recommend looking for a job as an entry-level candidate, but once you get credentialed, you may consider moving into these practices. The number of positions are few and competitive. As to what they do, I do not know.

Krieger
August 2nd 2005, 10:30 PM
I doubt an FSA on the investment track could withstand a top tier MBA holder.

wat
August 2nd 2005, 10:42 PM
I doubt an FSA on the investment track could withstand a top tier MBA holder.

Withstand? How do you mean?

In any case, the FSA's who use 8V (the Investments exams) are said to be able to perform the same duties as an investment banker (minus the practice in the field, most likely). The Course 8 exams are intense - I wouldn't be too surprised to see FSA's in other fields. That's what the whole Image Campaign is about - opening the eyes of both those in and out of the field to the expanding capabilities of an actuary.

Also note that the SOA either has approved or is in the process of approving another credential - the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) credential, upon completion of the ERM track. Just another financial arena that actuaries are involved in.

Krieger
August 3rd 2005, 02:08 AM
Withstand? How do you mean?

In any case, the FSA's who use 8V (the Investments exams) are said to be able to perform the same duties as an investment banker (minus the practice in the field, most likely). The Course 8 exams are intense - I wouldn't be too surprised to see FSA's in other fields. That's what the whole Image Campaign is about - opening the eyes of both those in and out of the field to the expanding capabilities of an actuary.

Also note that the SOA either has approved or is in the process of approving another credential - the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) credential, upon completion of the ERM track. Just another financial arena that actuaries are involved in.

I just meant top tier MBA holders would snatch those prized positions at Goldman, Merill, etc. from even qualified FSAs. Even undergraduates from my alma mater get those positions in higher numbers. The cards are stacked against the FSAs.

wat
August 3rd 2005, 02:31 PM
I just meant top tier MBA holders would snatch those prized positions at Goldman, Merill, etc. from even qualified FSAs. Even undergraduates from my alma mater get those positions in higher numbers. The cards are stacked against the FSAs.

Well, it depends - how many FSA's attempt for positions outside of traditionally actuarial positions? Not many as of now, but that's changing. It's obvious that a person with an MBA with a focus in Finance would be more of a conventional pick to perform in investments. But does that mean investments actuaries don't exist? Absolutely not. FSA's are/will be well qualified to perform duties outside of traditional actuarial work in various areas of business, including finance. So, it's not out of the question to believe that FSA's are qualified to work in investments.

phirang
May 28th 2006, 04:44 PM
wouldnt they just hire a proper quant to do this?

djerry81
May 30th 2006, 06:52 AM
whats your alma mater....

esmith
August 24th 2006, 11:30 PM
Why would an FSA want to work in investments? I don't know enough about what an actuary in investments does to say wether or not it is a good job, but when wat talks about not many FSA's take jobs outside of the tradition actuary role, the question becomes why would an FSA want to?

nmaitre
August 4th 2007, 06:12 PM
Hello, I am new to morgage insurance actuary. Please tell me about it.

nmaitre
August 4th 2007, 06:26 PM
Finance and investment actuary seems to be a good field to be in. Does that sound accounting?

Nmaitre.

nmaitre
August 4th 2007, 06:56 PM
Investment actuary, i believe, is responsible for keeping investors' portfolio and working for their best interest.

Nmaitre

nmaitre
August 4th 2007, 07:13 PM
I am new to mortgage insurance. Would anyone tell what it is about?:laugh:

Sherwin
January 3rd 2008, 08:23 PM
I know some friends who are actuaries majoring in ALM Dept of life ins companies. Do they belong to investment actuaries? Most of them took the FSA investment track. What they are doing is predicting the liability cash flow and advising investment function on how to arrange the asset purchase. That's the essence of ALM as they say.

at3
January 14th 2008, 01:22 PM
I think in investment field, a FSA is just like a quantitative analyst, which is a highly technical position doing very sophisticated math models to minimize risks. MBAs work in totally different direction. MBAs usually perform management types jobs, such as analyze financial reports. They may also apply some statistical skills in their job responsibility but definitely not so complex as a quantitative analyst. Of course, MBAs also focus on how to effectively manage a financial institute. This is still fall within management type of responsibility. In short, MBAs focus on management aspects of a financial institute while a FAS, like quantitative analysts, performs very technical jobs.