PDA

View Full Version : anyone using TIA for MFE?

oneinamillion
May 13th 2009, 12:51 PM
I was able to pass easily with TIA for exam P and FM.

anyone used/using TIA for MFE?

any reviews?

fry1020
May 21st 2009, 02:36 PM
hey, I also used TIA for FM, so I'm absolutely going to use it for MFE. I haven't heard any reviews for this one, but I can't imagine it not helping.

mandersonjr
May 21st 2009, 06:36 PM
is TIA that good?

fry1020
May 21st 2009, 11:47 PM
Well, although FM isn't ridiculously hard, I was able to easily pass with with 3 months of preparing through TIA. My college doesn't offer a class on Interest Theory or Derivatives Markets, so I felt TIA did a great job.

oneinamillion
May 22nd 2009, 12:15 AM
i was able to finish and pass in 8 ~ 14 days..
kinda breezed through first week, then studied hard for about a week for FM.
spend around 50 hours for exam P and passed..

i can't seem to understand just by reading the manual. the video/audio really helps for me.

dmbfan41
May 22nd 2009, 08:56 AM
TIA practice exams weren't representative of the difficulty of the actual exam, in my opinion.

jimbeauxk
May 22nd 2009, 11:21 AM
I'd love to try TIA for something, but since I'm not a student, I don't get the discount and it would run me $400 for MFE.

scott
May 31st 2009, 02:01 PM
MFE TIA lessons are ok, I'd rate them the worst of their 5 prelim exams though. The practice exams DEFINITELY need work. There are a good amount of problems to do when you add his Live Seminar problems, but you really need some alternate source of practice exams. Also be aware that the Brownian Motion/Ito Lemma/Interest Rate model topics are substantially harder than the rest of the syllabus... and I'm not sure yet about the new material moved over from C.

Some tests you can do TIA and not need any other study material, but Id almost say can't live without the ASM manual for this test.

winvicta
June 1st 2009, 03:25 AM
... and I'm not sure yet about the new material moved over from C.

Things being moved from C (that I know of)

Explain the properties of the lognormal distribution.
Explain the Black-Scholes formula as a limited expected value for a lognormal distribution.

scott
June 2nd 2009, 04:16 PM
I know what is being moved over, I just dont know yet how difficult the material is compared to BM & IR.