PDA

View Full Version : A little confused

PFloyd'sAct
June 3rd 2009, 07:16 PM
O.K. So I need a little clarification on this VEE thing.

Do we need VEE credit in all 3 areas, or just one? When is the best time to aquire VEE credit? How do the Macro and Micro Econ classes I took in college 3 years ago help me get VEE credit if at all? Is it better to get validated before or after you are hired? (I have passed 2 exams and am looking frantically for a entry-level job)

Granted I haven't done any searching on SOA.org yet, I am only going by this website and an info packet that NEAS has sent me about their courses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and if any of you experienced actuaries know of an entry level opening feel free to drop me a line:wink:)

NoMoreExams
June 3rd 2009, 07:24 PM
O.K. So I need a little clarification on this VEE thing.

Do we need VEE credit in all 3 areas, or just one? When is the best time to aquire VEE credit? How do the Macro and Micro Econ classes I took in college 3 years ago help me get VEE credit if at all? Is it better to get validated before or after you are hired? (I have passed 2 exams and am looking frantically for a entry-level job)

Granted I haven't done any searching on SOA.org yet, I am only going by this website and an info packet that NEAS has sent me about their courses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and if any of you experienced actuaries know of an entry level opening feel free to drop me a line:wink:)

You need VEE For Econs, Finance and Stat. These credits help replace the material that was removed from the old 2 and 4. You can only apply for credits by VEE after you have passed any 2 exams so you are good to go.

I would suggesting going to soa.org and finding a form that you fill out with the school you went to, class name, etc. and send it in + $$ and they grant you credit. There is also a pdf that shows which classes for which schools they will accept. If your school/class is not on the list you CAN petition for them to add it to the list, not sure what the success rate is.

As far as what employers would prefer, everywhere I interviewed back in the day asked me if I have my VEE done, I did. Basically I wanted more things to add to my resume and this provided it :)

cauger@bryant.edu
June 3rd 2009, 09:46 PM
This is the list of schools and courses, if you haven't found it already:

http://www.soa.org/files/pdf/edu-vee-dir-approved-courses.pdf