PDA

View Full Version : results are in!!!!!!!

binky_4me
July 2nd 2009, 09:16 PM
i'm glad i passed; this was my 2nd try and i was not interested in learning C material for the fall sitting. i'm happy for all of us that passed!! good luck this fall if you need to take it again. :smiloe:

NoMoreExams
July 2nd 2009, 10:00 PM
i'm glad i passed; this was my 2nd try and i was not interested in learning C material for the fall sitting. i'm happy for all of us that passed!! good luck this fall if you need to take it again. :smiloe:

Grats Binky.

ik2411
July 3rd 2009, 01:15 PM
Congrats Binky !!
Could you let me know what manual did you follow? I woud be giving it a try again this fall

sulfysulf
July 4th 2009, 10:04 AM
Well, I passed this exam (first time taking it) but just barely. I used the ASM manual, since I had found it to be excellent in preparing me for the FM exam. I have to say, though, that I was deeply unimpressed with this particular manual. Throughout my studies of it, I often found that either the author didn't understand the underlying theory behind the material, or he was just so advanced in his knowledge that he just overlooked the need to expand upon things. It's not that he made errors so much as he would oversimplify topics that I felt needed a much more thorough explanation. So, I would often find myself having to go into deep thought to explain why something was happening...and I would find that there would be holes of like 4 or 5 steps as to how it got from point A to point F (I'd have to fill in the blanks for B, C, D, and E). I guess it's hard to completely explain what was lacking. Although, I've found that it's not enough in these exams to know how to do many problems, so much as it is important to understand the underlying theory so that you can apply it to any combination of problem thrown at you. But regardless, if you do use ASM, I would recommend that you also study the previous exam questions that are given out for free by SOA. I say this because I found that the true test didn't really reflect the same format of questioning found in the ASM manual. Maybe this year's exam was just harder than most, but I definitely felt unprepared and wish I had studied these free SOA exam questions. I shouldn't complain too much in that I did pass...but I feel with a different combination of preparation, I could have done it much more convincingly.

I can't speak on any of the other manuals. Good Luck.

rahim
July 17th 2009, 02:58 PM
so u r saying that not ASM but free SOA exam questions reflect the real scenerio?

sulfysulf
July 18th 2009, 06:43 AM
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I don't feel that many of the ASM questions reflected the current style of the MFE exam. Naturally, ASM makes use of past-exam questions...but many of them are old and obsolete. The questions the author created for his practice tests seemed way off base to me. Although, I should mention that I scored an 8 on the exam...only using the ASM manual. So, it's not a worthless manual by any means...and if I had to guess, it's probably the best one out there for MFE. Although, I'd strongly suggest to someone studying to give the SOA questions a serious look...it'll be a good investment of your time. Good luck.

NoMoreExams
July 18th 2009, 09:49 AM
Regardless of what manual you use, you should always use the sample questions released by the SOA...

rahim
July 20th 2009, 12:06 PM
does anybody actually know the reason why SOA stopped publishing the recent year's papers like for MFE the latest was of 2007 i think and for FM it was 2005 or 06 ( dont know exactly ) ??

NoMoreExams
July 20th 2009, 01:37 PM
does anybody actually know the reason why SOA stopped publishing the recent year's papers like for MFE the latest was of 2007 i think and for FM it was 2005 or 06 ( dont know exactly ) ??

Yes. Those exams went CBT (or will) so SOA is planning on reusing those questions for future sittings which is why you are no longer allowed to discuss the questions you saw on your exam.

binky_4me
July 23rd 2009, 01:39 PM
Congrats Binky !!
Could you let me know what manual did you follow? I woud be giving it a try again this fall

i used actex the 1st time and bpp the 2nd time. personally after having used both, actex was better for tips and shortcuts. specifically, actex had a waaay better way to solve brownian motion stuff vs bpp. i felt the same way about the exam both times (5 and then a 6), so i think just studying again help me guess better. :smiloe: but i did think actex was better than bpp for mfe. better explanations, too.