PDA

View Full Version : Guo's book

calculus323
July 17th 2009, 08:17 AM
Can someone comment on the Guo's book, is it possible to pass the p1 exam using that book alone given that, you have prior knowledge of probability and calculus.

jimbeauxk
July 18th 2009, 10:02 AM
I had Guo for P, I found it was a bit more challenging to actually learn the concepts from scratch, but once you had an understanding of what was going on, his manual really blows you through a lot of good stuff. I found myself digging into it in the final month of preparation, and it got me over the hump. However, you won't find the same amount of practice exams in it. I think it depends on your background coming into the study process.

mr1
July 8th 2010, 09:07 AM
I have BS in Physics with a Math minor, and also a MS in Physics, but much of the stuff on exam P was new to me. The only study material I used was the SOA 149 practice problems, Guo's manual, and a tiny bit from a free PDF textbook on Probability that Guo links to in his manual. I studied really hard, but didn't have months and months so his manual was great for learning what was necessary, and giving additional tips and tricks. I was able to pass, but I think I just barely made the mark. So, it can be done, but I'm not sure if it is the best idea or not.