PDA

View Full Version : Business Degree

bmalbert
August 5th 2009, 06:55 PM
I've always been a huge math fan, so I started my college career as a math major. However after receiving poor career guidance from counselors, teachers, older classmates, etc. I came to the sad realization that the only job I could get with a Math degree was that of a teacher, which I don't want to do.

So I changed my major to something I thought was more mathematical...Accounting. By the time I realized that it wasn't for me, I was in the middle of my junior year. Not wanting to have to start over, I combined my Math courses and Accounting courses into a Business degree so I could graduate on time.

Well I did earning a Bachelors of Science in Business. This was last year, and I've since been working for the State of Florida. Now that I realize I don't want to work here forever, and that they will pay for me to go back to school I started thinking about going back to school and getting a finance degree or something more specialized, and this is when I discovered actuarial science.

Since I have a pretty decent Math background, and I can take a couple of courses at the Junior college to freshen up on courses I didn't reach as a Math major such as linear algebra, Calculus III etc. how marketable would I be as an actuary if I passed the exams but had a BS in Business?

WILLEL2338
August 28th 2009, 11:19 PM
Read this thread (http://www.actuary.com/actuarial-discussion-forum/showthread.php?t=1569)