PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice Welcom

penny
January 26th 2006, 10:28 PM
I have a bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science with 3.75 gpa. I've been out of school 2 years now. I've continued studying for exams. I currently am selling health insurance. Advancement prospects in current company are not likely because of location. I haven't had any luck interviewing. I have had no internships or other actuarial experience. What can I do - - interviewing tips, resumes and cover letters, other jobs to get foot in door, any advice welcome.

PhillyP
January 26th 2006, 10:43 PM
You say you have studied for exams. Have you passed any yet? If not I would recommend that you pass a few exams.

penny
January 26th 2006, 10:45 PM
I have passed two and am getting ready for exam M in may

deven
January 31st 2006, 01:05 PM
Having completed an actuarial degree with a solid 3.75 GPA, I am quite surprised that you havenít had any interviews. Hopefully with a couple exams done, your application would be a lot stronger.

I'd recommend that you ensure your resume is on the database of every Insurance and consulting firm in the country. Also use the time to build on your IT skills (excel, Access and SQL).

Irish Blues
January 31st 2006, 02:13 PM
When did you start applying? How many applications? Are you using a recruiter? I would make sure your resume is up to snuff (recruiters are very good with this) and then search for open positions and throw your resume at every entry-level job you see. Don't rely on someone else to find you that job, you'll have to do legwork yourself.