PDA

View Full Version : some comments on this offer

hw0799
February 13th 2006, 09:05 PM
I've got an offer from Mercer in New york, for their health and benift branch .
Another from AIG in California, for their variable annuity product line .

How dose anybody thing about it? I am concerning most about the culture and potential grow and self development instead of salary level. Thanks.

Ken
February 14th 2006, 01:38 AM
How dose anybody thing about it? I am concerning most about the culture and potential grow and self development instead of salary level. Thanks.

LA and NYC are filled with culture and potential. Sounds good.

wat
February 14th 2006, 02:22 AM
I've got an offer from Mercer in New york, for their health and benift branch .
Another from AIG in California, for their variable annuity product line .

I can't say that I know a lot about either company or either position, but I'd imagine that variable annuities are somewhat popular today, what with the baby boomers approaching that retirement age and what not.

hw0799
February 14th 2006, 12:21 PM
it is right. I've got several offers, but these two offers are the one that I will make by final choice in .

Variable annuity is popular because of baby boomer. But baby boomer will only last for around 20 years. (they are from 1946~1964).

When I consider job, I am also concerning about the job market after 20 ~ 30 years.I don't want to lose my job :)

Any suggestion about the trend? Thanks!!!

PhillyP
February 14th 2006, 12:52 PM
You may want to find out if either company has some sort of actuarial job rotation. My company offers this for FSA's and even for actuarial students. The obvious advantage is that you'll gain experience in different areas, therefore you will have more flexibility to move to a different area if needed.

hw0799
February 14th 2006, 03:45 PM
the negative part for the offer I got from insurance company is that: they don't offer any kind of rotation program. I am in product development department. I will get chance on research and pricing. that's all.

Will the situation the same as in consulting company?

I want to steer my way to risk management field. considering the offer: one from consulting in health and benefit.
one in insurance industry, in product development for variable annuty.

any comments or suggestions ? Thanks.

Ken
February 14th 2006, 04:11 PM
I think I read somewhere that you had PD credit. Do you already have experience in one or the other?

hw0799
February 14th 2006, 05:25 PM
what is PD? I probably don't have it.

Ken
February 14th 2006, 06:24 PM
I've passed 4 exams and meet all PE requirement. I am considering either take 2 course 8 exams this year, one in May, one in Nov. before the new rule for FSA. then select FAP. Dose it a valide chose? Any comments? Thanks.

What's PE? I was pretty sure it wasn't physical education so I thought maybe it was another typo of PD.

hw0799
February 14th 2006, 07:12 PM
PE: preliminary education. Sorry If I use the wrong term. I think it refer to first 4 courses and VEE credit.

wat
February 14th 2006, 08:26 PM
PE: preliminary education. Sorry If I use the wrong term. I think it refer to first 4 courses and VEE credit.

Yeah - under that assumption, I'm not sure what the advantage is for you to be taking either Course 6 or Course 8. Have you taken an essay exam yet?

Ken
February 14th 2006, 09:31 PM
Some good people to ask would be the people who are going to hire you.