PDA

View Full Version : DB Credentials

dphumphries
December 2nd 2009, 10:01 AM
Ok so reading all the information about SAS/R/Access inspired me to pick up an IS minor with my AS major. Is there any need whatsoever to pick up any credentialing/certifications such as Oracle/SQL server to provide value as an actuary? At least in terms of gaining an entry level position as an actuary?

NoMoreExams
December 2nd 2009, 10:53 AM
Ok so reading all the information about SAS/R/Access inspired me to pick up an IS minor with my AS major. Is there any need whatsoever to pick up any credentialing/certifications such as Oracle/SQL server to provide value as an actuary? At least in terms of gaining an entry level position as an actuary?

I've heard of entry level candidates having SAS certification but be careful not to overdo it as you don't want to be pigeonholed into the IT support for actuarial services right off the bat (or maybe you do?)

dphumphries
December 2nd 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the response :)

I don't want to get tied into IT support at all really, but I see a lot of job postings with must know this or that DB utility and was just wondering how we document it to an employer that we have the necessary experience. I know how important the actuarial exams are and are definitely the top priority but without an IT background per se and no actuarial experience I just wasn't sure if credentialing myself would give me an advantage when applying for that first position.