PDA

View Full Version : What's Best Online Course to get VEE Credit

mathrix
December 6th 2009, 12:09 AM
Hi guys,

Could you tell me which Online Course is the best? Some say it is CLEP and some NEAS. I wanted an online course that is not expensive but at the same time I could easily learn for someone like me who failed to take Economics Classes..etc. Hope you could advise.

Thank you so much

mathrix
December 6th 2009, 05:35 AM
Another great thing is that clep scores are not translated into your gpa, so you don't have to worry about mastering the material. If I were you I would want to master the material anyway since it will come in handy in your career, however for purposes of getting VEE credit I would advise you to just go ahead and knock it out of the way early. One week of one hour a day study is more than enough for any CLEP test.:smiloe:

''', buddy that's indeed very awesome to hear. Honestly, I just got excited to take CLEP instead of NEAS. I would prefer a little harder one (CLEP) than an expensive one (NEAS). Thank you so much for your recommendation. You're the best :smiloe:

BTW, could you recommend the best textbook/manual for both the microecon and macroecon exams of CLEP. Thanks. :smiloe:

pragya
December 21st 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi,

I am new to america.. i wanted to know where in california can i take classes to prepaer for VEE-finance exam?

mathrix
December 21st 2009, 09:48 PM
Hi,

I am new to america.. i wanted to know where in california can i take classes to prepaer for VEE-finance exam?

maybe you want to visit

http://www.neas-seminars.com/Misc/

ansileran
October 25th 2010, 04:44 AM
Hi !

I'm from France and trying to find a way to get those VEE... None of the courses at French universities are recognised so I'm looking for alternatives. I found online courses by Actex and I can take the exams in France if I find a proctor willing to supervise me until 10p.m. (time difference ''''s) but they are really expensive...
If you have any suggestion, please let me know !

Good luck to you all !

mathrix
October 26th 2010, 12:29 AM
I took VEE Econs at CLEP and will take VEE Corporate Finance at CPCU. These are standardized exams. Don't have plans for VEE Stats yet. Hope that helps. :)

ansileran
October 26th 2010, 05:21 AM
I took VEE Econs at CLEP and will take VEE Corporate Finance at CPCU. These are standardized exams. Don't have plans for VEE Stats yet. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for your reply, but the CLEP exams are only accepted if they can figure on your college transcript... Since such things are not recognised by French universities, I can't use it...
Has the CPCU's agreement been reconducted for 2011 ? It says on the SOA website that it's only valid until 2010...

mathrix
October 27th 2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for your reply, but the CLEP exams are only accepted if they can figure on your college transcript... Since such things are not recognised by French universities, I can't use it...
Has the CPCU's agreement been reconducted for 2011 ? It says on the SOA website that it's only valid until 2010...

I don't get your point about CLEP. Isn't it you just need to send them your scores, and if you meet the passing score then you could apply for a credit for VEE Econs?

Not sure about that CPCU, I'll be taking it this December. You have to contact the AICPCU or SOA about it.

ansileran
October 27th 2010, 12:59 AM
Maybe I didn't get it right, systems are so different between France and the US that I may have translated it wrongly...
On the SOA website (http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/resources/edu-vee-approved-courses.aspx), there is this sentence below the CLEP test :
"Minimum score of 53 (computer) or 47 (paper) required to receive credit. Original College Board transcript is required. Score report does not meet documentation requirement"
Doesn't it mean that the score has to be taken in account by your college / university for them to aknowledge it ?
It's probably not available in France anyway... Looks like I have to choose between Actex online courses and CFA exams (even more expensive, and taking so much longer to get)....

mathrix
October 28th 2010, 07:43 PM
Maybe I didn't get it right, systems are so different between France and the US that I may have translated it wrongly...
On the SOA website (http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/resources/edu-vee-approved-courses.aspx), there is this sentence below the CLEP test :
"Minimum score of 53 (computer) or 47 (paper) required to receive credit. Original College Board transcript is required. Score report does not meet documentation requirement"
Doesn't it mean that the score has to be taken in account by your college / university for them to aknowledge it ?
It's probably not available in France anyway... Looks like I have to choose between Actex online courses and CFA exams (even more expensive, and taking so much longer to get)....

"College Board" = CLEP. This the administrator for CLEP, AP, etc. You may want to visit their site. In the actual exam, they will be asking where do you want to send your grade report, one of the choices is SOA at Illinois. This will directly give your transcript to SOA and you don't need to get the hard copy of your transcript for $50. Hope that clarifies. I'm encouraging you to take CLEP to save time and money :)

ansileran
October 29th 2010, 02:22 AM
Oh ! Thank you for this explanation ! I really thought it had to be validated by your univetsity to be accepted by the SOA... Downside of having English teached hammer into our head that "College" means "university" and not "Junior High School" ("collège" in French) ever since we start learning English...
CLEP exam are not offered in France but everywhere else in Europ (like always), so I'll just take the trip to the UK or to Belgium.
Thank you very much for your help !

mathrix
December 15th 2010, 02:58 AM
It's been a while since I'm away from this forum. :laugh:

Just a heads up, the CPCU exam is now valid until 2014. See
http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/resources/edu-vee-approved-courses.aspx

BTW, passed this exam last week. Just need to study for about 40-50 hours considering I really don't have college courses in Accounting or Finance. :)

ansileran
December 16th 2010, 04:35 AM
It's been a while since I've been here to...
I ended up choosing the online Actex courses. They are more expensive, but also more structured and having the possibility to get explanations in case you don't understand something is great.
The microeconomics course is the best : good online book, teachers very "present", online practice and online quizz every week.
I would second the applied statistic courses. It works fine for me since I already covered the syllabus at my university, but if you haven't and are not familiar with statistical softwares, it's really hard. The teacher helps a lot on the forum, but the book is a bit hard to follow.
Last would be the corporate finance course. There is no online practice, only assignments, and honestly, with no previous knowledge in that subject (and a few language difficulties), it takes quite a lot of work in comparison to the other courses : count 3-4H a week to read the text book, and at least 5H for the assignment (7 through the course) if you're not really familiar with the subject. That's the minimum.

Apart from that, every course is very interesting, so it was worth spending the additional money...