PDA

View Full Version : Is it doable?

shoebkhan
December 7th 2009, 05:47 AM
Hi,
I'm interested in the CERA designation which requires you to pass P/FM/MFE & C.
My background is: BBA - basic calc & stats/MSc Finance - a little more than basic stats - mult regr etc./CFA L1 & prepping for L2 now.
I havent done serious calculus since I was in high school in India, which was 4-5 years back...so you can say my calc is a little more than rusty. My differentiation is OK, but integration is basic - but I do understand the concepts though.
My question is whether these exams are doable for someone in my situation. I mean I do understand that I'd have to do a math review course before I can even touch study materials for P. What kind of competency do these review materials assume and basically can I pass these exams, or should I have been a math/econ major in UG/PG?
Thanks for any info/help!

jaysunice
December 7th 2009, 12:11 PM
It's definitely possible. It all comes down to the level of effort/time you are willing to invest in the process. In fact, given your background, I would assume that exam 2/FM shouldn't be all too bad and is probably a good starting point.

You probably do not need to invest in a math review course until you can pinpoint your weaknesses -- even then, you'd be better off seeing a tutor and/or figuring it out by asking questions on forums or using search engines to find answers to topics, etc...

MY ADIVCE: start with exam 2/FM --order the ASM manaual and see how it goes. However, you may also want to start with 1/P as that is more reflective of the amount of time and generally more difficult conceptual concepts than 2/FM. This way you can realize how much effort the other exams may take you -- but please error on the side of MLC and C taking MORE time to study/prepare than 2/FM and 1/P.

pfredericks36
December 7th 2009, 07:20 PM
Hi,
I'm interested in the CERA designation which requires you to pass P/FM/MFE & C.
My background is: BBA - basic calc & stats/MSc Finance - a little more than basic stats - mult regr etc./CFA L1 & prepping for L2 now.
I havent done serious calculus since I was in high school in India, which was 4-5 years back...so you can say my calc is a little more than rusty. My differentiation is OK, but integration is basic - but I do understand the concepts though.
My question is whether these exams are doable for someone in my situation. I mean I do understand that I'd have to do a math review course before I can even touch study materials for P. What kind of competency do these review materials assume and basically can I pass these exams, or should I have been a math/econ major in UG/PG?
Thanks for any info/help!

What do you mean by your differentiation is OK, but integration is basic, but you understand the concepts? It is essentialy easier to do differentiation because all functions posses a derivative(with certain caution to the domain of the function), but not all functions posess an elementary anti-derivative(in fact most do not). Is that what you mean?
Anyway, the calculus that they assume does not go past a second 100 level calc. course in college. Just brush up bigtime to the point where it is easy, and I am sure you will do fine.

shoebkhan
December 7th 2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I think that's kind of what I mean. I do understand the point you made; what I exactly meant was yes my differentiation is OK because of its inherent nature that all functions possess a derivative, whereas the converse isn't necessarily true.
That's the thing - I'm pretty sure my calc isn't upto level of a second calc 100 course. By brushing up, do you mean investing in a Calc/Math Review course by ACTEX or something?
Thanks

pfredericks36
December 8th 2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the input. I think that's kind of what I mean. I do understand the point you made; what I exactly meant was yes my differentiation is OK because of its inherent nature that all functions possess a derivative, whereas the converse isn't necessarily true.
That's the thing - I'm pretty sure my calc isn't upto level of a second calc 100 course. By brushing up, do you mean investing in a Calc/Math Review course by ACTEX or something?
Thanks

I would definetly invest in something like that. For instance, I still have my gigantic Calc textbook i use in college, as i will always have it because it is so important. Honestly, I feel the more comfortable you become with calculus(and not even probability specifically) the better you will be at probability theory. Knowing it like the back of your hand will make the P1 test so much easier, and make the rest of your studies better as well.