PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate follow-up after unsuccessful interview

mary03
March 22nd 2006, 08:39 PM
I am searching for an entry-level position after passing the first exam last November. I have had two interviews thus far, and have been turned down for both positions. After interviewing for the first position, I clearly saw that I did not have the skills that the company needed. However, the second interview seemed to go very well. I don't know what happened because I received notification via e-mail today that they are pursuing other candidates. Would it be inappropriate for me to contact the person I interviewed with and ask for feedback? I am sincerely thankful for the opportunity to talk with her, and I would like to know what went wrong. I feel as though she would not have taken the time to meet with me if she was not truly considering me for the position, so something must have gone wrong in the interview.

Ken
March 22nd 2006, 11:18 PM
It's okay to ask but they're most likely to say something along the lines of, we have selected other candidates for consideration whose background and experience more closely match the job requirements, just in case you misinterpret what they tell you and file suit.

Irish Blues
March 23rd 2006, 08:29 AM
1. You're still 5 unsuccessful interviews behind me - so you've got work to do to catch up. :D

2. I would try to get any feedback you can; however, as Ken mentioned companies seem to be *VERY* reluctant to give feedback to you, because in their mind you may turn around and sue them. (:rolleyes: - but yes, I'm sure there are people who do that.) Think about it yourself, see if you can identify things that might not have gone well - that will give you things to work on. If nothing else, find a career center at a local college that you can get help on interviews with - you'll be surprised how much you gain out of it.

Denny Crane
March 23rd 2006, 09:30 AM
You can always ask. You may or may not get good feedback. You might say, "I'm have a strong desire to find an actuarial position, is there anything you can tell me that might help me to improve upon how I interview or come across? I'm looking for any constructive critisism you might offer as I'm looking to improve". Try to approach the person from a "trying to improve" standpoint and not "why didn't I get the job". I think you'll find the person more receptive to possibly giving you the feedback you want. If the person responds, make sure you send a thank you. And who knows, maybe you might even discover there was something that was perceived incorrectly ;).

Make sure to post what kind of feedback you get...good or bad.

mary03
March 23rd 2006, 06:40 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. Now that I know that it is not inappropriate, I will certainly contact the company. Denny, I will definitely ask for ways to improve--that is great advice. I hope that they will provide some feedback!

Ken
March 23rd 2006, 09:34 PM
I think smaller firms are more likely to give you feedback.

mary03
March 24th 2006, 07:59 PM
Well, I received a reply:

"Thank you for your interest in _. We looked at our current needs
and determined that we need to find candidates with a few years of
actuarial experience."

I wish that they would have looked at their needs before wasting my time and getting my hopes up. Oh well.

Thanks again for your help.