PDA

View Full Version : what happens if you stop taking exams?

JonDG
March 31st 2006, 11:25 PM
Just curious-- what would happen to someone in the actuarial field that stops taking the exams? Would that be the end of their job? Is it common?

Trojan_Horse
April 1st 2006, 07:23 AM
Once you're an an ASA, it's no problem. Before that, then it depends on the company. If they like you and think you can contribute enough to keep you on, then they will. I work with a guy that stopped taking exams after passing course 2 a few years ago and they kept him.

JonDG
April 1st 2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure that I am going to persue being an actuary and I'm pretty confident that I will be able the pass the exams, but that stupid little voice in my head keeps asking, "What if, what if, what if?" I kind of knew what the answer would be, but I just wanted some reassurance so that next time that little voice starts poppin' off at the mouth I can say, "Shut the **** up!":)

Irish Blues
April 1st 2006, 07:00 PM
If you voluntarily quit taking exams, you'll leave the student program (which should be expected). If you leave on your own, generally you're considered to be leaving in good standing. If the company has a position available that's not in the actuary field (e.g. it's a job that would go to people in the student program), then they'll consider you for those positions.

That's better than if you drop out of the student program because you couldn't pass exams; then the same would apply but it's much more dependent on how good your work has been in the past.