PDA

View Full Version : Quantitative Finance

Jonas
April 1st 2006, 08:39 PM
I am writing this message to see if anybody is intersted in quantitative finance; not insurance.

initiator
April 11th 2006, 02:57 PM
certainly. I have always been more interested in Investment Bankin/Quantitative Finance than Insurance. I recently had an interview at RBC Capital Markets for a similar position. Unfortunately, I didn't get it. :o

Jonas
April 17th 2006, 07:02 PM
Initiator,

Are you in the investments industry now? I am an assistant to a stock analyst. I really don't like the industry that my boss follows. I want to do more quantitative work or at least have the knowledge to use quantitative methods. Working for a hedge fund or being a proprietary trader is pretty enticing.

I'm reviewing calculus and hope to pass the first actuarial exam in August. How far are you in your education?

satyam
April 25th 2006, 05:44 PM
By Quantitative Finane do you mean becoming a 'quant'?

Jonas
April 25th 2006, 07:31 PM
I mean using high-level math in finance for portfolio management, trading strategies etc.

SirVLCIV
April 27th 2006, 10:34 PM
If you want to go into "Quantitative Finance", the actuarial career path is not the most direct.

And you should be prepared to work your butt off (they work a -lot- of hours, especially starting off).

yellowfever
May 12th 2006, 04:54 AM
My main interest is becoming a quant, and plan on getting into a masters of financial engineering or comp finance program. I agree with SirVLCIV that the actuarial path alone is not a direct route since being a quant requires so much more; however, a person qualified for a quant masters program should be able to take the first four tests. Just to meet the requirements I'm trying to triple major in stat, math, and statistical econ in order to get into a decent school (the 3 programs share many classes). The material covered in the stat program at my school alone covers all of the mathematical material for the first four tests, and classes are provided that qualify for the three VEE areas. I'm taking the actuary tests as a back up plan, because there will always be job openings, and I can do it anywhere.

shiv
May 12th 2006, 05:02 AM
Hi,
I would like to know more about quantitative finance. can u plz. tell me the areas where we can implement it.

I am writing this message to see if anybody is intersted in quantitative finance; not insurance.

SCIGEEK
May 12th 2006, 08:57 AM
Hi,
I would like to know more about quantitative finance. can u plz. tell me the areas where we can implement it.

You may want to check the website www.efinancialcareer.com and the website www.phds.org

I am getting more and more interested in Financial mathematics. So I am also trying to find some more information on being a 'quant'.