PDA

View Full Version : assistantship considered relevant work experience?

leibniz
April 10th 2006, 08:27 PM
As indicated by the title, my question is whether a particular grad. assistantship I was offered today would be considered relevant.

The nature of the work is to use matlab and C++ to write statistical related programs. My understanding is unclear about the precise nature of the "job", but would an occupation-albeit a college assistantship-loosely matching the above description be considered a brownie point by actuarial employers looking for work experience?

You know, obviously internships and actually holding a job are much better, but as some of you are aware I'm pursuing the whole ph.d thingy so please respond based on that assumption.

Ken
April 11th 2006, 01:25 AM
You can always make a stretch an dpretened like it's relevant. SAS would be more relebant so you try to incorporate that into your work.

leibniz
April 11th 2006, 02:16 AM
You can always make a stretch an dpretened like it's relevant. SAS would be more relebant so you try to incorporate that into your work.

I think my potential employer did say that a baby statistics software package called SPSS would be used. It's supposed to be an easier version of SAS used by educational psychologists & the like if I'm not mistaken.