PDA

View Full Version : Career Change?

navyasw02
April 10th 2006, 09:05 PM
I'm currently in the Navy and planning to get out within the next 2 years. I'm starting to research other careers and I discovered being an actuary and it seemed like a profession that's right up my alley. I'm a submarine officer with a BA in Naval Architecture and I'm working on a Masters in Engineering Management. What things can I do now at my point in my career to get ahead of the game before I get out of the Navy? Also, how does the exam system work exactly? I found limited information on some web pages about the exam progression, especially in terms of the higher level exams. Do any exams require experience prior to taking them? Are there any other web pages I can look at for more information? Thanks

SCIGEEK
April 10th 2006, 11:37 PM
I'm currently in the Navy and planning to get out within the next 2 years. I'm starting to research other careers and I discovered being an actuary and it seemed like a profession that's right up my alley. I'm a submarine officer with a BA in Naval Architecture and I'm working on a Masters in Engineering Management. What things can I do now at my point in my career to get ahead of the game before I get out of the Navy? Also, how does the exam system work exactly? I found limited information on some web pages about the exam progression, especially in terms of the higher level exams. Do any exams require experience prior to taking them? Are there any other web pages I can look at for more information? Thanks

It is a good idea to visit the website www.beanactuary.com

It contains all the informations that you need to know.

Ken
April 11th 2006, 01:27 AM
Learning to do some crazy things with Excel and Access would make you a better candidate.

amasaga
July 14th 2008, 07:04 AM
I am seeking advise in my particular situation. I am an hotel professional with a BA (HONS) Degree and wish to change my career to an Actuary because I like Math (not that I was very good at it but I have strong can do attitute). I am working in the hotel industry for the last 7 years and now getting bored of the industry and looking for a new challange i.e. Actaury. I have few questions to clear up my doubts and help me making up my mind to go for Actuary.

1. It is feasible to change from Hotel Profession to an Actuary??
2. I am 25, is it a good age to start as an Actuary or is it too late?
3. As an fresher, shall I pass 1 or 2 Exams and then search for a job to avoid any fall in Salary? or start to look for a job right away, pass exams together whilst working and have an average salary?
4. What can I expect my salary to be as an complete fresher without passing any exams and with passed 2 exams? does it make any difference.
5. Is an Internship neccessary or just look for a job with 2 pass exams??
what are the pros and cons of taking Internship?
6. How long would it take me settle in the Industry and have decent salary package?
7. Do I have to attend university or can I study for Actuary exmas from home? Do I require tuition?
8. I want an face to face conversation possibly with an Actuary or an student to discuss pros and cons of being an Actuary in detail, What is the best way to do so ???

Kindly someone answer these questions to help me moving up.

Many Thanks !!!

jerryflower
July 19th 2008, 04:07 AM
Recently, you are in Navy and wanting to change the career field. There are a much options in the engineering field; you will get priority, because you are from Navy. You can also try in Architecture field.
__________________________________________________ _____
jerry
Debt Consolidation (http://www.mydebtconsolidation.name"rel="dofollow)