PDA

View Full Version : Salary Question

JonDG
April 18th 2006, 09:26 PM
I have a question about how much actuaries make becaue when I hear people talk about the salary of an actuary everyone always tells me that an actuary makes $100,000 and up, sometimes way up. Then when I look at salary reports I see that actuaries make an average of about $90,000 (not that I would consider that bad by any means). Do these salary reports include all actuaries, including those who have only passed one or two exams? If that is the case, does anyone know the average salaries of associates and fellows? Thanks.

Speed Light
April 18th 2006, 09:37 PM
http://www.dwsimpson.com/salary.html

hope this helps.

Btw it says 90-10% range. Does every1 feel likewise, or this range jus reflect very prominent companies?Applicable in US only I believe.

Trojan_Horse
April 19th 2006, 07:23 AM
I think the DW Simpson salary survey is pretty accurate. There are some regional variances (you'll make significantly more in NY City for example). Remember when you hear that the average is 90K that includes all of the actuarial students and there are many more students that FSAs.

Irish Blues
April 19th 2006, 08:41 AM
Also realize that the numbers listed there include all bonuses (profit sharing, performance incentives, recognition awards, and so on) - it's not just "here is the base pay".

dizzydevil
April 28th 2006, 02:34 PM
Is this per month or per annum????
Sorry i'm a newbie in everything

Salary does mean per month but i just wanted to make sure

wat
April 28th 2006, 02:39 PM
Is this per month or per annum????
Sorry i'm a newbie in everything

Salary does mean per month but i just wanted to make sure

If you go to http://www.dwsimpson.com/salary, those figures are in annual salaries, not monthly.

I'd be feeling pretty underpaid if those were monthly salaries.

quesotrain
May 30th 2006, 03:02 PM
everyone always tells me that an actuary makes $100,000 and up, sometimes way up. Then when I look at salary reports I see that actuaries make an average of about $90,000.
Think about it. The entry level actuarial students generally make around 40-60K. Some actuaries have to balance that out with well over 100K to get a $90K average.

crawdad689
June 1st 2006, 06:03 PM
I think the DW Simpson salary survey is pretty accurate. There are some regional variances (you'll make significantly more in NY City for example). Remember when you hear that the average is 90K that includes all of the actuarial students and there are many more students that FSAs.

Yeah, you also have to keep in mind that NYC is the MOST expensive city to live in in the entire country!

(Not that I don't have mad love for nyc :p )

Denny Crane
June 1st 2006, 06:16 PM
www.homefair.com is a good site to see cost of living differences between cities.

djerry81
June 2nd 2006, 07:19 AM
i want to be a actuary in japan....i hear tokyo is the most expensive in the world....

wat
June 2nd 2006, 01:52 PM
i want to be a actuary in japan....i hear tokyo is the most expensive in the world....

They also have a different set of qualification exams, if I'm not mistaken. I tried to look for more information regarding their exam process, but I couldn't find a syllabus or application.

Ken
June 2nd 2006, 05:49 PM
You probably would end up not living in Tokyo and taking the train to work like everyone else.

zyzzxx007
June 3rd 2006, 02:34 AM
i went to salary.com and found out how much they make. there was a list of all levels of actuary. & if you click on view reports (free) basic ones, you will see the salary range. very helpful info.