PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dr. Ostaszewski

bdenyer
April 20th 2006, 06:25 PM
Dr. Ostaszewski,

I noticed on your website that you also have the CFA designation. Do you think that it is a good idea for actuarial students to try becoming a CFA in addition to pursuing their FSA? I am interested in doing both but I am wondering if there would be any potential benefits to this since time is already somewhat of an issue just taking the SOA exams. I am considering taking the investment track once I reach the higher-up exams, so it seems like the CFA designation could be relevant. Thank you in advance.

bmathew22
April 21st 2006, 07:39 AM
I also have the same question.

Thanks

krzysio
April 21st 2006, 08:09 AM
Dr. Ostaszewski,

I noticed on your website that you also have the CFA designation. Do you think that it is a good idea for actuarial students to try becoming a CFA in addition to pursuing their FSA? I am interested in doing both but I am wondering if there would be any potential benefits to this since time is already somewhat of an issue just taking the SOA exams. I am considering taking the investment track once I reach the higher-up exams, so it seems like the CFA designation could be relevant. Thank you in advance.

I obtained the CFA designation before I took on actuarial exams. It was significantly easier to become a CFA than an FSA. It only adds value to have a CFA designation if you work in asset-liability management (which is what I do in my research). If you want to be an actuary, you should pass actuarial exams, first and foremost, and then think about other designations or degrees.

Yours,
Krzys'